-Five-

The cool morning breeze hit my face as I stepped out of the van, back in Iloilo. I glanced at my phone—it was just after seven, and the school was already buzzing with life. Students rushed to class, backpacks slung over their shoulders, all of them blissfully unaware of the supernatural chaos lurking beneath their world. I wished I could be like that sometimes.

As I made my way to the school gates, my eyes scanned the crowd for a familiar face. It didn't take long to spot Bryce leaning against one of the pillars near the entrance, arms crossed, clearly in a mood.

"Alisa!" he called out the moment he saw me. His face was scrunched up in frustration, a telltale sign that something had gone down. "I need to talk to you."

I approached him, already bracing myself. "What happened now?"

"It's Jordan," Bryce groaned, running a hand through his hair. "He's been acting weird, like, not answering my calls half the time. And when he does, he's so... cold. I called him last night after that whole 'new vampire in town' thing, and you know what he said?"

I raised an eyebrow, curious. "What?"

"He didn't care! I'm serious. He literally said, 'Bryce, I don't care,' and hung up on me."

I stifled a laugh, even though I knew it wasn't the best time for it. Bryce's dramatic retellings always had a hint of Peter Parker energy—exasperated, but somehow funny.

"Maybe he's just tired from gym?" I suggested, trying to keep things light, though I had my own suspicions about why Jordan might be distant.

Bryce shot me an unimpressed look. "Alisa, he didn't even go to gym yesterday."

"Okay, maybe something else is up. People can have bad days," I shrugged, trying to stay neutral.

"Still doesn't give him the right to act like that," Bryce muttered. "I swear, it's like ever since we fought that vampire together, he's been different. Distant. I don't know what's going on with him."

I sighed, feeling for Bryce. Navigating friendships was hard enough in high school without throwing supernatural complications into the mix. Before I could say more, Bryce's eyes flicked up to me, the question I knew was coming already forming on his lips.

"So... how was the big evaluation?" he asked, almost cautiously.

"Unbearable," I groaned, rolling my eyes. "Tyrone Pineda basically put me through the wringer. He tested everything—fighting skills, mental strength—everything."

Bryce frowned, concerned. "Mental strength? What did he do?"

I shook my head. "Let's just say, I had to face some personal demons. It wasn't fun."

Bryce was about to ask more, but before he could, a familiar, shrill voice cut through the air.

"Well, well, well," Lydia Magbanua's voice echoed as she approached us, a smirk plastered on her face. "If it isn't the Dhampir and her pet human."

I clenched my jaw, already feeling the irritation bubbling up. I hadn't been back for even an hour, and here she was—Lydia, queen of petty remarks.

"Lydia, do you ever get tired of being this annoying?" I asked, not bothering to mask my sarcasm.

She crossed her arms, her smile widening. "Oh, I've got plenty of energy for it. Especially since it looks like your little friend here is still dealing with Jordan's rejection." Her eyes darted to Bryce, a glint of satisfaction in them.

Bryce stiffened beside me, his fists clenching. I could tell he was trying not to react, but Lydia always knew exactly where to strike.

"Not that it's any of your business," I snapped, stepping forward, "but why don't you focus on your own problems? Like the fact that Eddie dumped you?"