-Twenty Nine-

Alisa POV

The Canteen was a vibrant and inviting space where students gather to recharge and socialize during breaks. Designed with a spacious layout, it features clean, well-lit areas with ample seating to accommodate various groups. The walls are often adorned with cheerful posters and school colors, giving it a welcoming atmosphere.

The canteen offered a variety of food options catering to diverse tastes, including classic Filipino meals, snacks, and healthier choices for students conscious about nutrition. Stations were organized to streamline the flow of traffic, allowing students to quickly pick up everything from rice meals to freshly prepared snacks and drinks. Friendly canteen staff are always present to assist students, ensuring both cleanliness and efficient service.

I was halfway through my siopao, trying to keep my eyes open while David rambled on about Tikbalanugo repellent recipes. Beside him, Sidney nodded thoughtfully, completely engaged. They were practically pulling out everything but the kitchen sink for their ideas—garlic necklaces, salt pouches, blessed water.

"Sidney, if garlic worked, we'd be in the clear from the leftover takeout my dad's been storing in the fridge since last month," I said, grinning. "And David, we don't need you carrying around a gallon of holy water. You're not a priest, you're a drama kid."

David gave me an exaggerated pout. "Look, Alisa, I'm just saying, I might have untapped potential here. Like, what if I'm a natural with a crossbow?"

"Oh, I'm sure you are," I smirked. "But save the Crossbow David debut for the comic books, alright?"

Sidney chuckled, then leaned forward, lowering her voice as if we were conspiring. "Okay, so you're telling me I can't even carry a little packet of salt around? Just to keep up appearances?"

"You're welcome to carry it," I said. "Just know it's mostly for morale, not defense. This new Tikbalanugo—whatever it is—won't be impressed by your McDonald's salt packets."

Sidney nodded, a little disappointed but still resolved. "Fair point. We're probably better off sticking to research anyway."

David raised an eyebrow. "And where does that leave us if things go sideways, huh? Can you at least promise we get a warning before things get messy?"

I paused, taking in both their faces, a little touched at how invested they were in all of this. "If things get messy, you'll know, trust me. The goal is to keep you two far out of harm's way. And as for the big bad? Let's just say it'll be me, not you, who gets to deal with the fallout."

David snorted, relaxing a bit. "Good, because I wasn't quite ready to make my action movie debut. Though, don't think I'm not practicing my battle stance at home. Gotta be prepared, right?"

Sidney and I both laughed, but the lightness in the air vanished as a shadow passed over us.

Standing there was Chimon, looking like he hadn't slept in days. His usually steady, serious eyes had a strange glint, and for a second, it seemed like he was about to turn and walk away. But then he shifted his gaze directly onto me.

"Alisa," he began, voice steady but low. "There's something you need to know. About...why I'm here. And about my siring."

David and Sidney exchanged glances, probably sensing the gravity of the moment. Chimon had never brought up his past before, and from the look on his face, it wasn't a conversation he'd been planning to have. But he was here, and it seemed like he had to get it out.

I shifted in my seat, giving him a nod. "Alright, Chimon. We're all listening."

Chimon glanced around the room, as if checking for eavesdroppers, then leaned in, his voice even lower. "This is... not something I talk about, but it's relevant to what we're dealing with." He paused, drawing in a deep breath. "My siring wasn't... well, it wasn't an accident."