Chapter Five

John's POV

Paulo came barging in my hotel suite that night after my meeting with Vester. He looks so upset and disappointed. I smiled at him while remaining seated on the sofa of the living room.

He sighed when he saw how unaffected I was and defeatedly headed towards me. He sat at the couch near me and held his head in his hand, massaging it roughly. Like he was suffering from a headache.

"John, please tell me that you do not mean what you said earlier. You said you will produce Vester's album. Why the sudden change of heart?" He asked me with his eyes closed.

"Who said I changed my mind?" I asked with a controlled smile.

He immediately opened his eyes and looked in my direction.

"Then what was that earlier? You said you will not give your songs to a third-rate artist. Oh, wait a second. Vester is not a third-rate artist. He is a very popular A-list artist that this country has ever had. His voice is amazing and it is the only voice that would fit your compositions-"

"I know. You do not have to sell him to me. I have heard his voice and I agree with you. I will proceed with the album and we do not need this argument." I interjected to stop his ranting.

He blinked multiple times to maybe try to understand what I just said. He grinned when he finally understood me and hit my shoulder playfully.

"You should have told me sooner!" He exclaimed while chuckling.

"I just want to tease him a little." I added with a smirk.

"I would not repeat that if I wear you. Vester is a stubborn man and he is dangerous and fiery when he is mad." Paulo commented while he was looking at his phone.

"I like to see where his patience ends." I retorted and grinned.

"Do you like him?" He asked straightforwardly and when I turned to him he was already looking at me.

"What will you do if I say yes?" I asked rhetorically.

"I might need to dissuade you. Vester is a famous man. He cannot have a scandal with you or with anyone else." He said in a serious tone.

"Why are you allowing Josh then?" I asked in defiance.

"Exactly. Vester is with Josh. They are together. It will only create a scandal if a fight breaks out between you and Josh. So, stop your nonsense and look for someone else's if you are just looking for fun. Besides, Stella's death anniversary is just around the corner...."

His words trailed off when he saw how my face changed completely. My smiles were gone and my eyes suddenly welled with tears.

How can I forget her death anniversary? I seethed.

Coincidentally, my phone rang and on the screen showed Justin's name. I hurried to answer the call and waited for him to speak first.

"I am about to get on the plane to the Philippines. Can you pick me up at the Airport tomorrow?" He asked without saying his greetings first.

"You are what?" I asked in surprise.

"I resigned as the CEO of your parents' company and accepted an offer from a big company in Manila. I will live there for a while." He replied and it just makes me more confused.

"What do you mean resigned? You left Massachusetts to live in the Philippines?" I exclaimed when I started to understand his statement.

"Yes. You said you will take care of me from now on. Did you not mean that?" He asked sadly.