Chapter Three

John's POV

During my twentieth birthday, I gifted myself for a one month vacation in the Philippines using the plane ticket that I have struggled to buy from my savings.

I wanted to spend time with my older brother who was currently residing there as the CEO of his own entertainment company. My parents invested in his entertainment company as long as I would be the co-owner as the only condition, which my older brother accepted.

I was told by our grandmother that my parents adopted my older brother when they were desperate to raise a child.

They were already married for almost ten years but they still do not have any offspring. So, when they heard of an orphanage in the Philippines that was being run by a Christian pastor, they decided to adopt one of its orphans.

He was a three year old boy when they added him on their family registry.

Then, they, along with our grandma, brought him with them when they migrated to Massachusetts for the Animation company that they are trying to establish. They showered him with love and things that he needed and they treated him like their one and only treasure.

Not until two years later when my mother was being told that she was pregnant during her annual check up.

They treated her pregnancy as a miracle and they were so excited for her delivery. And when I was born, they were so happy that they celebrated for a long time.

During my childhood, I never lacked my parents' attention and I was loved by them. However, because of their attention that was solely focused on me, they unintentionally neglected my older brother.

I still remember how I always have the better toys, the better clothes and the better room than his. But despite all of this, he never complained. He was always smiling when I was the center of their attention and he was always happy for me. He loved me wholeheartedly and I love him the same way.

I looked up to him as my role model and I will always respect him.

So when he decided to move back to the Philippines to venture out in the entertainment industry which was currently growing there, I was adamant in following him. I wanted to migrate with him but my parents were against it.

They wanted me to pursue a career in Animation because they are graphic artists themselves and they were currently needing someone to take over the company that they have established.

They wanted me to continue their legacy by joining them in their chosen industry.

Unlike what they have wanted for me, I aspire to become a music composer and producer. So, as a rebelling youth at the age of eighteen, I decided to go against them and enrolled myself in The Berklee College of Music in Boston Massachusetts.

When they learned about my actions, they demanded for me to drop my enrollment or they would kick me out of their house. I was stubborn to pursue what I wanted so I willingly moved out of their house and rented a small apartment near the school.

Because of not having their financial support anymore, I had no choice but to work as a part timer in a fast food chain just so I could support my daily needs.

I also made sure that I will not spend more than I needed so I could save for the plane ticket that I need to buy so I can see my older brother again.

He has not visited us yet after moving back to the Philippines and even if I do not ask, I know that my parents are involved. I know my brother and his personality. He will never forget me and if he only had a choice, he would have visited me already.