Chapter 12

Melissa's voice was firm, carrying an authority that brooked no argument. "Thou will never tell thy caretakers about me." She gazed deeply into Iris's eyes, fully aware of the potential consequences if her presence was revealed. She understood that Ivory and Miriam would either try to convince her to return to the fae hut, or worse, they might inform King Julius and Queen Marigold of her existence, placing the entire storm forest in grave danger.

Iris frowned, confusion flickering across her face. "But why not? I want them to know you! They'll be happy to meet you, too!"

Melissa knelt down to Iris's level, softening her expression. "Little one, it is not that simple. The world of fae is complicated, and I am not like the light fae."

Iris's eyes widened in disbelief. "But you are not a threat! You are my fairy godmother! You helped me before, and you are here now!"

A pang of longing struck Melissa. The innocence in Iris's voice reminded her of the warmth she had buried deep within her for so long. "Perhaps, but not all see me as thou dost. My past mistakes could cause harm to those I care for," she said softly. "If they learn of my presence, the storm forest might become a battleground. I cannot let that happen."

Iris looked down, her brow furrowing as she considered Melissa's words. "I don't want anyone to get hurt... but I want to see you more. I want us to be together."

"Then we shall make this our secret," Melissa said, her heart aching for the bond they were forming. "We will have our moments here, in this enchanted place. This shall be our little sanctuary."

"Promise?" Iris asked, her eyes shining with sincerity.

"Promise," Melissa replied, placing her hand over her heart. It was a vow that would bind them, one she would protect with all her strength. "Now, let us celebrate thy birthday, for it is a day of joy! And together, we shall create magic of our own."

As the two shared a moment of understanding, Melissa felt a flicker of hope. Maybe, just maybe, she could find a way to break the curse while keeping Iris safe from the dangers that lay beyond the forest's edge.

Secretly, Iris began visiting Melissa without telling Ivory and Miriam. Each time she slipped away from the fae hut, her heart raced with excitement and anticipation. She would ride on Moonlight's back, a rush of wind in her hair as they traveled deeper into the Storm Forest, away from the safety and warmth of her home.

Melissa always waited for her, hidden among the trees like a shadow, her wings folded tightly against her back. The moment Iris arrived, her stern demeanor would soften, revealing a glimpse of the kind and nurturing fae she had once been.

"Little one!" Melissa would call, her voice a mix of warmth and caution. "Thou art here again?"

"I had to see you!" Iris exclaimed, her eyes sparkling with delight. "Today, I brought you a gift!"

Iris would present small tokens from her world—a shiny pebble, a wildflower, or even a drawing she had made. Each offering was cherished by Melissa, who tucked them away in a hidden place, treasures of their secret bond.

As their time together grew, Iris felt a sense of joy and wonder whenever she was with Melissa. They would share stories, laugh, and sometimes even dance among the dappled moonlight filtering through the trees. Melissa would show her the hidden wonders of the forest, teaching her about the magical creatures that resided there and the delicate balance of nature.

Yet, beneath the surface of their blossoming friendship, Melissa carried the weight of the curse she had cast upon Iris. Each time they shared a moment of joy, the reminder of her dark past lingered, a shadow that could not be easily dispelled. Despite her growing affection for the girl, she remained haunted by the fear that the curse would one day come to fruition.

Still, for Iris, the magic was real, and the bond they shared felt unbreakable. In her heart, she believed that Melissa was the fairy godmother she had always dreamed of, the one who would bring light into her life, no matter the darkness that surrounded them. And in those stolen moments, as they laughed and played in the heart of the Storm Forest, the curse seemed a distant memory, a mere whisper of something that could not extinguish the spark of their friendship.

With each visit, Iris felt more determined to discover the truth about Melissa and to prove that love and friendship could conquer any curse. Little did she know, the journey ahead would test their bond in ways neither of them could anticipate.

One day, Melissa used a sleeping spell on Iris, who immediately fell into a deep slumber.

"Melissa, what dost thou?!" the wolf barked, suddenly alert.

Melissa placed Iris gently on a patch of soft grass, her heart racing.

"Moonlight, stay away," she warned, her voice steady yet tinged with urgency.

Moonlight, sensing the gravity of the moment, ran a few steps back, realizing the weight of the situation.

"Thou shall not prick thy finger, 

Let the curse be undone, my dear. 

In this gentle slumber, linger, 

Let love's true light draw near."

She chanted softly, her words like whispers on the wind, but the magic did not respond to her plea.

She repeated the incantation, her voice growing stronger, yet nothing changed.

"What's happening? Why?" Melissa's voice trembled with frustration and fear. The magic she had once wielded so effortlessly now felt elusive, slipping through her fingers like grains of sand.

As the shadows deepened around them, she felt a cold realization settle in her heart. The curse she had cast was entwined with her anger and sorrow, and now, in her desire to protect Iris, it resisted her every attempt to reverse it.

"Why can I not save thee, little one?" she lamented, the weight of her past choices heavy upon her.