Chapter 17

The fae hut was small and cozy, nestled deep within the forest. Vines crept up its wooden walls, and the air inside was always sweet with the scent of herbs and fresh bread. Delicate flowers bloomed around its windows, and magical light flickered from within, casting a warm, soft glow.

Iris burst through the door, her excitement bubbling over. "Ivy! Miri!" she called, her voice echoing through the hut.

Ivory, busy taking the freshly baked bread out of the oven, glanced at her. "What's the matter? Why are you shouting?" she asked, wiping her hands on her apron.

"I found my fairy godmother!" Iris announced, her eyes shining with excitement. "And I've decided I'm going to stay with her from now on—with all my fae friends!"

Ivory froze for a moment, her heart skipping a beat. Melissa had been gone for 16 years, disappearing into the deeper parts of the forest. They hadn't seen her since, and now Iris was claiming to have found her. Ivory assumed Iris must have seen some other fae.

"Really?" Ivory asked cautiously. "What is her name?"

Iris paused, her enthusiasm dimming slightly as she tilted her head in thought. "Stupid me," she muttered, "I didn't ask for her name!"

Miriam sighed as she scrubbed the clothes in the washbasin, her hands moving rhythmically. "Look, Iris, we're concerned about you," she said, glancing up. "Yesterday, I found black feathers outside."

Ivory, folding a towel, raised an eyebrow. "Black feathers?"

"Yes!" Iris chirped, a gleam of excitement in her eyes. "That's because my fairy godmother has black wings!"

Both Miriam and Ivory exchanged worried glances. Black wings could only mean one thing—Melissa. The thought of their long-lost sister resurfacing after all these years stirred up a mix of fear and unease in the two fae sisters.

Ivory panicked, her voice rising as she reverted to the old fae way of speaking. "Hast thou lost thy mind? What if she hath cursed thy mind further? She cursed thee once; she could curse thee more! Foolish humans, she is not thy fairy godmother, understand?"

Iris, startled by the sharpness in Ivory's tone, took a step back, her eyes narrowing with suspicion. "Why are you speaking like that? Like my fairy godmother. Are you fae too?"

Miriam swallowed hard, glancing nervously at Ivory. "Well, child," she said carefully, "there are some things thou art not meant to know..."

Iris frowned, her confusion growing. "But why? Why can't I know?" she asked, her voice rising in frustration. "I have a right to know if you're hiding something from me!"

Ivory and Miriam exchanged uneasy glances. They had always known this day would come, but they hadn't expected it to be so soon.

Miriam sighed, placing her hands on Iris's shoulders gently. "It's for thy own protection, Iris," she said softly. "There are dangers that come with knowing too much, especially for someone like thee."

Ivory nodded, still visibly shaken. "We've only ever wanted to keep thee safe, child. That's why we couldn't tell thee before. But the truth is..." she hesitated, glancing at Miriam for support.

Miriam took a deep breath. "The truth is, we are fae, Iris. And the fairy godmother thou speakest of... she's not what thou think."

Iris stepped back, her eyes wide with shock. "You... you're fae?" She whispered, as if the revelation itself might shatter her world.

Ivory nodded, guilt flashing in her eyes. "Aye, child. We've been keeping it from thee all these years."

"And Melissa," Miriam added quietly, "the one thou callest fairy godmother, she is a dark fae. She cursed thee long ago."