Chapter 19

Iris stumbled to a halt, but before she could react, Melissa raised her hand, her voice soft yet commanding. "Thou need to rest." A shimmering wave of magic enveloped Iris, and her eyelids grew heavy.

"Wait! No!" Iris gasped, but the spell took hold, and her protests faded into silence as she succumbed to sleep.

Melissa knelt beside her, guilt twisting in her chest. She watched as Iris's breathing slowed, the tension in her small frame easing. "Forgive me," she whispered, brushing a strand of hair from the girl's face. "I only wish to protect thee."

But as Melissa prepared to lift Iris into her arms, the air crackled with tension. Moonlight, the loyal wolf, emerged from the shadows, his fur bristling in alarm. "What hast thou done?" he growled, eyes narrowing at Melissa.

"Moonlight, she was frightened," Melissa explained, her voice steady despite the rising fear in her heart. "I meant no harm."

"Thou hast taken away her choice," he replied sharply, stepping protectively in front of Iris. "What dost thou plan to do now?"

Melissa's tone was firm as she commanded, "Prepare thyself, Moonlight. We are heading to the human realm."

Moonlight's eyes widened in disbelief. "The human realm? Hast thou lost thy mind? She will be in the greatest danger there!"

Melissa, now sitting atop Moonlight's back, tucked her wings beneath a dark cloak. "She will be safest where I am not," she said, her voice steady yet urgent. "Dost thou understand?"

Moonlight hesitated. "But, Melissa..."

Without a word, Melissa gently placed the sleeping teenager behind her, securing her safely. "The further she stays away from me, the better it will be for her," Melissa said softly, her resolve clear.

Moonlight sighed. "I... I have no words."

Ignoring his doubt, Melissa commanded him to run toward the human realm. As they sped through the forest, her sisters, Ivory and Miriam, appeared, trying to stop her.

"Sister Melissa, stop!" Ivory called out, panicked. "Thou art not thinking clearly!"

But Melissa pressed on, determined. She whispered to Moonlight, "Once we reach the palace, I will erase all memory of me from her mind."

As Melissa neared the border of the human realm, a familiar yet frail figure emerged from the shadows. She squinted, her eyes widening in recognition.

"Queen Marigold of the Moon Kingdom?" Melissa muttered in disbelief.

Marigold's tired gaze met hers. "Aren't you... the dark fae who... who gave her to me?" She pointed shakily at the sleeping Iris. "What happened to her? Is she... did she..."

"She's only sleeping," Melissa replied curtly, her voice steady. "The curse hasn't taken her yet."

Marigold's face filled with panic. "What are you doing?"

"I'm taking her back," Melissa said, averting her gaze. "She's not safe here, not around me. My useless sisters told her everything."

Marigold's panic deepened. "No! Please, don't take her back! Whatever you do, don't return her. You have to listen to me, don't take her back!"

Melissa's eyes narrowed, sensing something amiss. "Why? Why art thou panicking, Queen Marigold?"

Marigold's voice trembled as she stumbled over her words. "Julius... Julius... he wants to kill the child... Iris. He plans to end her life."

"