Chapter 2

The next  morning was peaceful and quiet. Austin, Noah, and Kennedy had been at the café since 9 a.m.

About ten minutes ago, I had finally gotten Eden to fall asleep, her soft breathing filling the room. With that done, I decided it was time to clean up the apartment. Living with four adults and a baby, it didn’t take long for things to get a bit out of control.

Toys were scattered across the living room floor, the kitchen sink was full of dishes from breakfast, and a pile of laundry was waiting to be done. Austin and I usually liked to keep things neat and organized. We found peace in a tidy space.
But Kennedy and Noah were different. They didn’t mind the books left on the couch, half-empty coffee mugs on the table, or jackets hanging over chairs. They had a more relaxed way of living, and surprisingly, it made everything balance out.

Even though the apartment wasn’t spotless, it felt like home.
Austin and I would clean up when we needed to, but Kennedy and Noah reminded us to relax and not worry so much about the little messes.

We all brought something different to the group, and that’s what made it work. Together, we had created a space that was full of warmth, laughter, and life. It wasn’t perfect, but it felt right, like we were all meant to be here.

I felt a deep sense of relief knowing that my little Eden would grow up in a home filled with love, surrounded by people who cared for her. She would always have someone by her side, never feeling alone or unloved. I was determined to give her everything I never had, to ensure she had the warmth and security I once longed for.

I was halfway through washing the dishes, the warm water running over my hands, when the house phone rang out unexpectedly. The sudden sound cut through the quiet, and my heart skipped a beat, fearing it might wake Eden from her peaceful nap. Without hesitation, I wiped my hands on a towel and rushed over, grabbing the phone quickly before the ringing could disturb the calm.

"Hello," I answered quickly, trying to keep my voice low.

"Hello, am I speaking with Estella Bennett?" a deep voice on the other end asked.

"Yes, this is she," I replied, slightly puzzled by the unfamiliar tone.

"Estella, it's Orion... your brother."