Chapter 54

At BPD-Morgue/Autopsy Room

Dr.Rizzoli: We'll need to process everything here.

Susie: W-we're not logging it in?

Dr.Rizzoli: This is a very sensitive investigation, Susie. Once it's logged in, anyone has access to it.

Susie: You don't think the NSA is watching us now, right?

Dr.Rizzoli: Hmm. I wonder. Well, privacy is an illusion, Susie.

Susie: What do you mean?

Dr.Rizzoli: Well, your telephone and internet records are all on file with the NSA.

Susie: Are you-are you sure?

Dr.Rizzoli: Mine, too. Well, satellites, drones, security cameras, license-plate cameras, fast-pass lanes. Yes, privacy is a thing of the past.

Upstairs

Korsak: Want half? It's tuna.

Maura: No, thank you.

Korsak: It's been refrigerated.

Maura: No, it's just my stomach's been bad all day. Guess its sympathy aches.

Korsak: There's nothing on the boyfriend. I got officers staked out at his apartment. You wearing a ring?

Maura: And you call yourself a detective. Yeah, had it on all night.

Korsak: So, I guess we can start calling you Mrs. what?

Maura: Jane and I decided to hyphenate our names. So, it's Mrs. Maura Isles-Rizzoli. Okay, so, Natalie was murdered trying to flee to one of three places that do not have extradition treaties with the U.S.

Cavanaugh: What's your feeling on the senator? Any chance she's behind this?

Korsak: Pretty cold to kill your kid, even if she was about to leak top-secret intel.

Maura: Well, unless your kid's a female Edward Snowden. I don't care how powerful she is. If she did it, we're gonna get her. Did we check if the boyfriend hopped on a plane?

Korsak: Oh, yeah. He didn't. Unless he had a fake passport. We put him on a watch list. Can't hide forever. We got Natalie Bloomfield's phone records. She really was an introvert. Only one or two calls a day for the past two weeks.

Maura: What about before that?

Korsak: Huh. Good thought, Maura. A lot more.

Maura: She changed her habits. She was using a burn phone. Well, Natalie must have thought she was under surveillance.

Korsak: Makes sense if she was about to leak intelligence.

Maura: We're gonna need warrants for Natalie's apartment and office.

Korsak: Yeah, I know. I'm just trying to decide whether I'm better off waking up Judge Walters or Judge Steinberg.

Cavanaugh: Go with Steinberg.

Korsak: Any press reporting this yet?

Cavanaugh: No. Senator's office hasn't released anything. Go home, we can pick this up in the morning.

Maura: Thanks, boss.