Chapter 91

Maura walks into the Morgue.

Maura: You need to give yourself a raise. You were right about the electromagnets.

Jane: I'll bring it up with the commonwealth.

Maura: Yeah, you and Frost must have spooked Bob here when you questioned him about the bunker. He killed himself trying to cover his tracks.

Jane: I'm not sure I agree. His lungs are well-aerated. No smoke or particulate inhalation.

Maura: He was at the center of the explosion.

Jane: Which means he might have been dead when the bomb detonated. Look at this. Subdermal hematoma consistent with being struck with a blunt object.

Maura: Bob has a partner.

Jane: Had.

Maura: (Sighs) So, Bob and partner rob Peter with this trap-door scheme, but Peter ends up dead.

Jane: Frost and I talked to Bob.

Maura: Mm-hmm. Bob gets nervous, tells the partner that we're on to him.
Partner takes the opportunity to destroy both the evidence and Bob.

Jane: It really seemed like this case was over.

Maura: Clearly, that's what he wanted us to think.

R&I

In the Break Room with Jane

Frost: Marauder" is the French word meaning "rascal." All cultures have them.

Jane: Really?

Frost: Pirates, bandits, It's a practice as old as time.

Jane: You know, the United States had a nuclear-fusion research project called marauder which stood for "magnetically accelerated ring to achieve ultra-high directed energy and radiation."

Frost: No shit.

Jane: Yeah.

Maura: (Clears throat) Can I talk to you for a sec?

Jane: Sure.

Maura: What's up, Frost?

Frost: Hey.

Maura: Listen, ma's always gonna be up in our business. She thinks that you might be cheating on me. I'm worried about the same thing. Tell me the truth. What have you been doing at night, that you don't want anyone to know?

Jane: I'm not cheating on you, baby.

Maura: What are you doing, then?

Jane: (Inhales deeply) Computer engineering. I've been taking courses.

Maura: How? When?

Jane: Night classes-programming, data systems, repairs.

Maura: Wait a minute. The encrypted hard drive-Was that you?

Jane: No, I'm still a novice. That was Bahar.

Maura: Bahar.

Jane: This Israeli kid in my class. He's 19. With this course, I could possibly help out in BRIC.

Maura: Well, that's an incredibly sound plan for the future.

Jane: Thank you.

Maura: But what-what's with all the secrecy?

Jane: I didn't think I'd be any good at it. Frost is the best. And I knew you wouldn't cut me any slack if I wasn't good at it.

Maura: You're doing great. And-and I'm-I'm really proud of you. And Bahar.

Jane: Thank you. But, please, don't tell ma. She'll just use me like I'm her personal genius bar.

Maura: Yeah, you're right. Mm. Okay, um I'll handle ma. Uh, I-I'll-I'll just tell her you're going to the bar after work.

Jane: Just make it believable.

Maura: I'll tell her you go there to take your mind off of work.

Jane: Great.

Maura walks out.