Chapter 16 Kim Ruzek

My heart was in my throat when Kyle called me, my first thought was that Sean or Adam had been hurt.

I know it's just a few years until Adam will apply at the fire department and I'm not sure I can handle having two sons on the job.

I hate that Adam isn't here to see how his children are doing, he'd be so proud of all of them.

I spent the last few days helping Jen get settled into her new place, we talked more than anything else. I promised to go back over tomorrow, Dani loved hanging out with Emma and I really enjoyed it. We spent most of the time talking about Adam and Sean, it's nice having someone who gets it.

I even met her boyfriend, his name is Derek and he is an attorney. Emma seems to love him, and I'm glad they found their way back to each other. Sean would have liked the guy too, I don't know if I could do it though, I know Adam would want me to be happy but I'm not sure if that's possible.

Sean finally shows up with Adam and I immediately wrap my arms around Adam, Sean helps Kaylee get to the couch and props her leg up on a pillow.

"When Kyle called I was so worried, I'm glad your all okay"

I can see Adam is still upset, "Adam, are you okay?"

He shrugs his shoulders, "it just scared me, I thought Kaylee was dead" his voice is almost a whisper.

Sean gets up from the couch and wraps his arms around Adam, it's the first time Adam has allowed Sean to hug him in years "she's okay, Adam, it's okay" Sean tells him. I can see Adam's body shake as he cries and I know this is more runs just Kaylee's accident.

"Hey, Adam it's gonna be okay" Sean tells him, he's holding Adam's face in his hand, just like Adam used to do to both boys, "Kaylee is okay"

"Why did you leave us, Sean? Why?" Adam finally asks, it never dawned on me that he felt as if Sean abandoned him.

"What do you mean Adam?" Sean questions him, "why did I move out?"

"Yea, you left and everything fell apart. First dad left us and then you did too" Adam is almost yelling, "I needed you and you left!" He took off for his bedroom.

I watched as Sean processed what Adam had just said, he sat on the couch reaching out for Kaylee's hand, "mom, I had no idea"

I reach for Adam's wedding ring that I wear around my neck, it kills me that Adam feels as if he has been abandoned by both his father and brother "I had no clue, shit. I'm a horrible mother"