Chapter 21

The sound of gunfire had Jay running from the van, "shots fired, requesting backup" he yelled as he ran.

As he entered the building what had sounded chaotic, seemed to be under control. He quickly scanned the faces hoping to find his guys all in one piece and okay.

"Dawson, everyone okay?" He asked Antonio who was reading a guy his rights, "where's Atwater and Ruzek?"

"Jackson has them in the back, paramedics are with them" Dawson told him.

"What happened?"

"They've both been hurt"

"Shit!"

Jay took off towards the back of the warehouse, he saw Kevin on a stretcher and Sean sitting in a chair his arm being wrapped by a paramedic.

"You okay Sean?" Jay asked, he wasn't looking forward to telling Kim.

"It's nothing barely a scratch" Sean said wincing as the paramedic finished.

"It's more than a scratch Officer, you've lost a lot of blood and I think you may have fractured your arm" the paramedic said, "Detective Atwater has a foot injury, pretty sure his ankle is dislocated, plus a gun shot wound to the same leg"

"Hey boss, please don't tell my mother over the phone" Sean asked, he knew his mother needed to be told face to face, "my girl too, don't call them"

Jay called Trudy.

"Platt"

"Hey it's Jay, I need you to do me a favor, and just saw you know he's okay" Jay told her before saying anything else.

"Sean?" Trudy brought her hand to her mouth, "Halstead, the next words out of your mouth better be that is he isn't hurt"

Jay groaned, "I can't tell you that, he's been shot but he's okay. Will you get Kim, I don't want to call her and I don't want plain clothes showing up at her door"

"On my way"

"Good job, Liam" Kim praised her son as he finished his homework, during the summer he attended school in the mornings to keep him in a routine.

The doorbell rang, "you can go play video games buddy"

Kim saw the unmarked car outside her house, "no, Mom!" She called she didn't want to open the door by herself, terrified of what was on the other side.

"What is it, Kim?" She asked wiping her hands dry on the towel.

"There is an unmarked car outside, I'm afraid to answer the door"

Elaine pulled the door open, "Trudy, what brings you by?"

"Is Kim around?"

"I'm here, is Sean okay?"

Trudy grabbed her hand "Jay said he's okay, but was shot in the arm and on his way  to Chicago Med, Kevin was shot too, they're both okay all things considered"

"Are you sure, he's okay?"

"Yes, Sean asked for someone to come and tell you, face to face" Trudy guided her out the door, "Brian drove me, he insisted" Brian had heard the conversation she had with Jay and wanted to be there for Kim. "He's earned some points with me for that"

They arrived at the hospital, Kim racing inside, "my son was just brought in, Police Officer Sean Ruzek, where is he?"

"He's getting an X-ray you're welcome to come on back though" the nurse opened the door for her to enter the emergency room.

She saw Kevin sitting on the bed, his leg being splinted, "Kevin, are you alright?" She asked.

"I'm okay, leg is broken and my ankle was dislocated. Having surgery first thing in the morning" she hugged him "Sean's okay too, he should be back any minute, what's up Davis, Sgt.Platt"

"Detective Atwater, we will be moving you up to a room now" an orderly announced as he started to wheel Kevin out of the cubicle, "Davis, you better do the right thing man"

Brian nodded, "seems nothing is kept quiet at the 21st, huh?" He smirked at Kim, "you want to me ask how much longer, I can wave my badge around"

"Here he comes" Trudy noticed him being wheeled in, "he looks okay Kim, he's smiling as usual"

Kim immediately ran to him, "Mom, I'm fine. It's not even broken, don't cry" he looked back up at the nurse, "can I get out of this chair now?"

"Of course"

"Mom, seriously I'm fine. It bled a lot and I needed to be sewn up but its fine" he wrapped his free arm around her.

She wiped her face, "I was just so scared" she kissed his cheek, "has anyone told Kaylee?"

"Yes, she went to get my car with Kyle, she's gonna take me home" Sean told her, he watched as Brian's eyes followed his mother's every move, "Brian came huh?"

"Yes" she wasn't sure what he was getting at "Trudy said he wanted to come"

"I bet, you're still going out with him tonight right?"

"I don't think so, not since you're hurt"

"Mom, I'm a big boy. Kaylee will be with me, you go still. Have a good time, you deserve it"

"He's fine Adam, just a few stitches" Kim told Adam when he finally got home.

"You still should have called me mom, Kyle was the one who told me once I got to the firehouse" he set his backpack on the table, "you shouldn't have had to deal with that alone"

"I wasn't alone Aunt Trudy and Brian were with me" she told him, his head snapping up at the mention of Brian.

"Brian huh?"

"Your brother said pretty much the same thing, you know" it was wonderful having Adam back to some semblance of normal, "be honest how do you feel about me going out with him?"

Adam sat on the counter top, "When I was working at the gym, he was one of the few guys I could tolerate. He never looked at me with pity in his eyes, he always asked about you even back then.  I want you to be happy Mom, you don't smile much anymore and you need to" he opened the can of soda "plus, I know dad would want you to be happy, we all want that"

She went to him, "I want you to be happy too sweet boy" she patted his leg, "let's make a deal,  you start smiling more and so will I"

"Deal, have fun tonight, please?"

"I will try my best"