36 - Show And Tell

Dan's POV

"A-are you sure?" Emma asks, her eyes wide with shock.

I look again at the test, the tiny screen displaying the results. I show Emma the screen.

"A little plus sign and it says 6 weeks." I say, checking Emma's face for shock or any emotion. I only see joy.

"We're going to have a baby?" Emma asks excitedly.

"We're having a baby!" I answer, equally as excited as I wrap my arms around her.

We part slightly, Emma holds and looks at the pregnancy test in disbelief, while my arms stay around her.

I lean closer to her ear to whisper.

"It's not going to change."

Emma turns to connect our lips together. Without breaking the kiss I raise slightly to retrieve the list of names from my back pocket and slide it into my front pocket.

Emma suggests we tell our families when we finally part. I tell Emma to eat something since all she had eaten after throwing up was half an apple.

We both make or way to the kitchen, Emma immediately pulling out a container of leftover Chinese food, tipping it into  bowl and placing it in the microwave to reheat.

I head towards the sink, grabbing Emma's half eaten apple from the side of the sink and throw it in the bin. I quickly wash my hands, drying my hands on my jeans before grabbing some food from the fridge myself.Recently Emma and I had been trying to eat vegan even though Emma had been a vegetarian already.

The microwave beeps angrily at Emma. Her hands shake as she retrieves her food, almost spilling the contents of her bowl as we both make our way back to the living room.

The sun had started to set as I walked home from the pharmacy, so now a deep orange enveloped the living room. We leave the light off so we can bask in the light as we eat.

As I shovel the salad into my mouth I retrieve my phone from my pocket and place it on the coffee table. The piece of paper with names falls out as I do this, I quickly return it to my pocket.

The final croutons escape the stabbing of my fork. Infuriated, I give up on using the fork and grab them with my fingers, placing the plate on the coffee table when I'm done.

Emma slurps up her final noodles and gently places her bowl on top of my plate.

We stare at the phone in silence for what seems like an eternity.

"Maybe we should wait to tell people. I mean, your supposed to wait until you've reached a certain stage in pregnancy when your in the all clear before you tell people." Emma blurts out, breaking our silence. "Or maybe we should tell everyone, your mum could help me because I have no idea what I'm meant to do while I'm pregnant. But that might get her hopes up and something could happen like the first time. But if people know then they'll know to be careful around me."

"Uh Emma. Are you really thinking those things?" I ask, slightly worried.

"It's happened before, and your mother seemed so devastated when we had talked about how I lost the baby. I just don't want to disappoint anyone else if something happens this time. I can't bear the thought of seeing you hurting like last time and it scares me that it might happen again. Who's to say that a crazed fan won't hit me or worse and cause another miscarriage."

I sit back shocked. I never knew Emma was scared of disappointing my family or seeing me hurt because of something she couldn't control.

I shoot forward and grab my phone, quickly dialling a number. The phone rings as Emma asks who I'm calling.