64 - Where She Came From

Emma's POV

Deep breath Emma, deep breath and take a step. I stand at the entrance to the cemetery, Kieran resting on my hip. I breathe in and step forward. A chill runs up my spine as I set foot on the ground inside the fence.

It isn't long before I find the wall with names I wanted to find. My mother and father, their name plaques side by side, surrounded by others who had also had their names memorialised here.

"Hi mum and dad." I say aloud. I know they can't hear me, but saying this out loud, somehow, I feel like they will get the message. And as hard as try, I can't stop myself from tearing up. "Um, I want you to meet your grandson, Kieran Howell." I point towards the wall so that Kieran will look towards it. His tiny hand extends, reaching for the wall, making me smile insanely.

"I, um, well Mum, I guess I should start by telling you, I got married, to Dan. And Dad, I wished you had stayed at the wedding." I start. Lately I had been missing them so much more. Ignoring what had happened between us, spending time with Kieran reminded me of my childhood, and how much fun we had had. Taking a seat on the ground in front of the wall, I rest Kieran in my lap.

"I found you Dad, in the background of a photo from the wedding. I keep that picture in my nightstand with all of the other pictures I have of you both. Sometimes when Dan is doing something at work, I show them to Kieran. I tell him about Australia, and you both."

Wiping my tears away, I look down at Kieran, playfully pulling at the grass. "I wish Kieran could meet you, even if just for a moment. Especially you Dad. You would have gotten on great together."

Dan's POV

I hold back, listening to Emma talking to her parents name plaques. I had managed to find a seat on an earlier flight. Though tired, jet lagged and aching from the cramped seats on the flight, I pushed through. Arriving at the hotel, I open the door to reveal an empty room. Joe, answering my call to Rachael, told me where I could find Emma and Kieran.

"I wish Kieran could meet you, even if just for a moment. Especially you Dad." Emma says, teary eyed, her breath hitching in her throat.

"Or to have a photo of you holding him, something for him to look back on." I state, walking over to them and taking a seat next to Emma. "I never got to meet you properly, and from our meetings I didn't seem like that would be a good idea. But from what I just heard from Emma, I think Kieran should have that opportunity to meet you both."

We are silent for a long time. Sitting in front of Emma's parents. Off to the side, another family visit their lost relatives. It is Emma who decides to leave, saying goodbye, perhaps for the final time. I feel her hand grasp mine.

"Thank you Dan." She whispers, almost inaudible. It reminds me of our first meeting, on the stairwell of the apartment building. Barely making eye contact, using her hair which had blueish grey ends to hide her face.

"Any time." I answer as we begin walking away. "If you're up for it, you could show me around where you lived. Since I've already shown you where I grew up."

"That's a good idea."

-- 3 hours later --

Originally we had planned to walk everywhere that Emma was taking us to, but it is summer in Australia so, after five minutes we were both sweating. We took a taxi back to the hotel and got the keys to the hire car from Joe, leaving Kieran with him and Rachael as it was time for him to sleep.

Emma drives the car as she is the only one of us that is insured to drive it. She showed me her old primary and high school, the park she spent most of her time in, even the small pizza place which is where she had her first job. Suddenly we turn onto a street that seems like a familiar nightmare. Looming on us is the hedge covered fence, the metal structure covered in vines leading to the second story bedroom window, her old house.

With the money from her mother and father's will, as well as the profits from the sale off the house, Emma Rachael and Kristie could fly around the world over 50 times, each. Even with this fact, Emma decided to keep working at the BBC, even spending a few extra nights with me and Phil in the studio to learn all about the controls.

Emma stops in front of the house, the living room light shining warmly through the somewhat thin curtains hanging on the window. Switching off the car, we stare at the homely aura that now surrounds this house.

"When I was younger I always wanted to live in that house forever. If my parents ever moved out, then I would buy it and live there." Emma states, her voice low, almost as if she didn't want anyone else to hear.

"Do you still want to? Do you want to live in Australia again?" I ask in a similar volume.

"Well..."

----------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: hahaha cliff hanger. I don't think I've done one of those in a while. Anyway, welcome to chapter 1 of 7 in the lead up to the finale, where I am uploading a new chapter every day in the week leading up to the 22nd of November.

And as it coming close to the finale I will only be choosing one song for the new Songs Of The Chapter. I will be making a master list of songs that inspired chapters that I will then share with you all.

SOTC

1. Hold Me - Savage Garden

Allons-y, weirdos.