44 - Love Yourself

Emma's POV

I stare at my reflection in the bathroom mirror, tracing the first few purple lines along my stomach. 15 weeks and our baby is growing fast, tightening the skin of my stomach making me look like I had had a giant lunch.

The lines, like scars, slightly indented into my skin. Following their paths to a real scar, shiny skin in a curved line, just below my rib cage.

I look away from myself in disgust. A knock against the frosted glass door of the bathroom and a voice interrupt my self loathing.

"Emma, I just need to take a shower before I go to the BBC for a meeting about our show. I'm coming in." Dan's voice floats through the air.

"No," I say abruptly, flipping the lock on the door. "Don't come in, I'm -"

I try to think of a lie.

"I'm not dressed, just give me a second." I plead. Dan's only response, a small chuckle.

"We've seen each other naked plenty of times. I promise I won't look, it's just that Phil is getting a little anxious that I'm not ready to leave."

"I just don't want you to see me at the moment. Just give me a second please." I plead.

"Whatever you want." Dan whispers, reassuringly.

My oversized pyjama shirt lays against the sink basin. With 2 strides it is in my fingertips, wrestling to turn it the right way around before pulling it over my head. Quickly I leave the bathroom, but Dan's hand catches mine, pulling me to him, his lips leaving their impression against the skin of my cheek.

His free hand, the one not holding mine, raises the hem of my shirt, lifting it over my stomach exposing the stretchmarks forming.

"Oh Emma, is that what you were trying to hide from me." Dan asks, whispering. I nod, earning a chuckle from him. "They're nothing to be ashamed of. I didn't fall in love with you beause of your looks."

My eyes widen in shock as his hands leave me and shield his face in shame.

"No, I mean, I thought you were, are beautiful, but I love you because you are you. And I wouldn't have gone through all that we have been through together if I were to be turned off by a few stretch marks."

I smile widely.

We kiss each other a final time before going our separate ways, Dan picking up his clothes from the ground where he had dropped them and heading into the bathroom, me into the bedroom.

I grab the loosest clothes I have, a pair of leggings and a black and white striped shirt. I hurriedly pull on boots in case the weatherman is correct and a late November snow fall appears.

My phone vibrates against the nightstand, shuffling to the edge. The text message shows Carrie's contact name.

Meet you in the hall in 5 minutes - Carrie.

My reply is swift.

Make it 2 minutes - Emma.

As I walk towards the stairs across from the living room I divert to the kitchen, collecting my house keys and wallet. I stare at my phone, finding directions to a baby store as I head down the stairs.

My face collides with a hard yet soft object, Dan's chest. I look up, apologizing before giving his lips a quick kiss and saying goodbye.

On the land between our two front doors Carrie waits with Phil, their apartment door open to gives everyone more room.

"Ready to get shopping?" Carrie asks cheery.

"I am more than ready to stop stretching my clothes." I joke back, "But first lunch."