Chapter 13: No Ordinary Gathering

Ice skating with Brad... amazing! I can not believe that I actually held hands and ice skated together. We also took some really cute pictures. OMG!!! I hope this didn't give away the fact that I like him. Brad left Canarsie Skating Hall a few minutes before my dad came. By then, it was beginning to snow. As we drove, it got worse. Melinda was right, we couldn't have our get-together to practice our French. Brian, Matthew, and Jacob wanted to play in the snow, but I didn't feel like bungling up all over again. I'm in the living room right now, drinking my sweet, creamy Vanilla-Caramel tea... my favorite. It was then that my phone rang. You would not believe who it was.... Bradley! I ran to my phone ASAP, but remained calm while on the phone.

"Hello? Carey?", he asked.

"Ummm... yes. Hi, Brad. After asking how we were doing, etc., he asked me a question I could not forget.

"Yeah, Carey, you see our house lost power and none of our family members close by can have us over to stay with them until the power gets back. So if your family doesn't mind.... can we stay for some time... that is, if you have power, of course."

I paused for a minute. Then I put my hand over the phone and let out a loud scream of happiness. I quickly changed my tune. "Okay, Brad", I said. "But why don't my parents talk to yours." I gave my parents the phone. Then I ran off to my room hoping and hoping that my family would let the Morgan Family stay. Minutes of anticipating had passed.

 Soon I heard Matthew call me. "Carey, come here please, Mom and Dad want you."

Slowly, but surely I walked to where they were. "Umm... yes, Carey. Brad's family will be staying here for a while. Please quickly and carefully clean the house.", said my mom.

"Say no more!", I said, running to my room. Just like before, I went into a cleaning frenzy.

"Ding dong", rang the doorbell.

 Before I got out of the room, I heard my parents talking. I immediately ran out to see Brad, his parents, and hi 17 year old sister, whose name is Veronica. "Bradley how are you?", I greeted him with a hug.

"You two get along very well", said Mrs. Morgan, while talking to my parents.

"Hi, Carey. I need to talk to you", Brad said in a shaky voice.

"Sure", I responded. "What's wrong?" We sat on the living room carpet like little children, while Veronica looked at us suspiciously.

"You see, Carey, for a while I've sort of like you. You're fun, friendly... pretty", Brad said. Then, for some time, he was talking a mile a minute, so I tried to silence him.

"Brad... Brad, listen", I started before I took a deep, deep breath. "I like you, too. It's really fun hanging out with you."

After some more small conversation, I hugged him once more. Then we paused for a moment as we looked at each other. Soon... we bot leaned towards each other. Next thing I knew... his lips touched mine. Just then, a small game of tonsil hockey was played. Afterwards, we just sat and stared in shock and awe.  Suddenly, I saw a shadow flash before my eyes. Then another... then another... then another. It was Brian, Matthew, Jacob, AND Veronica fleeing away after eavesdropping. By the time we got off the carpet, our siblings and already snitched on us.

"Mom, Dad! Carey and Brad kissed", they all chanted at once.

Just by taking a peek at my parents, I knew they were about to explode and World War 90 was about to happen.

"Carey Renee Andrews... get your butt over here... NOW! Before I say something I may regret!", yelled my mother.

Without a choice, I nervously did what I was told. The next few minutes were noting but lecture.

"Carey, what were you thinking?", my dad asked.

I couldn't find the words to say, so I silently stood there looking at the wooded kitchen floor and kicking imaginary  dirt and dust.

"We are very ashamed of you. We thought you knew better than that", said my mom after she could no longer wait for my response. "You owe an apology to the Morgans."

Both Veronica and my siblings wanted to burst out laughing. With my face red with embarrassment, I went to the living room where the Morgans were. It turns out Bradley was getting a lecture, too.

"You may as well apologize to my parents, too", I told Brad as he walked off to give his parents and I some time alone.

"I'm so sorry, Mr. and Mrs. Morgan", I stated. "Please forgive me."

"It's okay Carey, dear. We forgive you, but kind of hurt us tonight. You're a smart girl, so I trust that you won't so that again", said Mrs. Morgan.

"You have my word", I told them as they both hugged me. Thank goodness they are forgiving people. Brad and I met up in my room.

"I'm sorry", he said.

"Same here, but don't sweat it Bradley", I said as we both agreed to never do that again.

"Cool room", Brad told me, to change the subject.

Soon, dinner was ready. This time we were having a fresh batch of mashed potatoes. We all sat down at the dining room table. I still felt embarrassed about the kiss, but afterwards, no one seemed to mind it anymore. I then felt a whole lot better. Brad seemed to do the same. I still couldn't believe he was at my house. Even though I got in trouble, I got in trouble for that kiss, it still felt awesome. Then, everything stayed awesome for the rest of the night. Let me tell you... it was no ordinary gathering.

                                                                             **********************************