Chapter 11: One Pretty Outstanding Outfit

Carey's Point of View:

Just a few minutes ago, I just got home. It was a fairly short walk. I do enjoy walking. On the way, I stopped at the corner store at 45th street. For some reason, it just never had a name. Though, I walked in to try and find that track and field gift for Bradley. Eventually, I was able to find it, but I couldn't find one with Brad's name on it. I thought I wasn't going to be able to get it, but I walked up to the cashier, who I've known for quite a while. His name is Bobby. I was thinking about going to Swifty's Swift Shop, it was too far from my house. Anyway, I asked Bobby if I could get the name on the track runner made of glass. Luckily, he managed to engrave Brad's name into the gift. Then, Bobby used crazy glue to the small, engraved metal to the glass track runner.

"Thanks, Bobby. By the way... why doesn't your store have a name?", I questioned him.

"Oh Carey, it did have a name and it still does", he explained. " It's called Bobby's Store Down on 45th Street. Sure, the name may have been a little dull to some people, but I liked it. However, the broke off many years ago. We kept putting it back up, but it just kept falling down again and again. Though this store does have a name, but many people just don't know about it."

"Thanks, Bobby. Here's your money", I said. I paid him $6. "Bye bye now", I said as I walked out and continued my way home.

So here I am sitting on my bed. I am thinking about what to wear to go ice skating and how I can possibly tell my mother and father about this. To be on the safe side, I decided to go tell my parents first.

"Ice skating... with a boy... that we don't know?!", asked my father in awe.

" Your father and I will discuss this, but right now, you're not going anywhere until you finish your house chores", said my mom.

As soon as I heard that, I went straight to work. I swept the, washed the dishes, cleaned the bathrooms, vacuumed. I even cleaned Brian, Matthew, and Jacob's room. You name it... I cleaned it. When I was finally done, I ran right to my parents.

"Can I go? Can I go... pleeeeease?!", I begged and pleaded. I got on my knees and hugged their legs. I knew it was pathetic, but I really wanted to go skate with Bradley.

"Carey, even though you forgot to do some chores, we're going to let you go skating with your little friend", my mother told me.

"I'll give you a few dollars as pocket money, but I don't want any weird, funny business. I am not raising any grandchildren", my father warned me.

"Yeah, he won't be raising any grandchildren!", added Matthew, even though I knew he had no idea what that meant.

While I nodded my head at my parents comments, I ran to my room, where I could pick out a fabulous outfit for tomorrow. I saw many cute outfits, but none of them were good enough for ice skating or for winter. It truly forever. It wasn't until I nearly emptied my entire closet when I found the outfit of my liking. It was a long sleeve shirt that said 'I'm awesome and I know it', a sleeveless jean jacket, and wavy pink pants. I wanted to see how I looked in them, so I tried them on. Then, I went to show my parents. They didn't seem to like it too much.

"Carey, those pants are too big", my mother stated.

"That shirt is too tight", said my dad with a frown.

I knew the shirt couldn't be fixed, but I asked Mom if she sew up the pants because she is really good at that.

"Sweetie, I would love too. I can't, though because a few friends and I would like to check out the knew department store in Gates Plaza", she said.

Gasping and dropping my mouth wide open, I asked... "Why can't you do it today? Didn't you say you were going to Gates Plaza tomorrow?"

My mother sighed. "Carey, it's almost dinner time. I can't do everything around here. Besides, your father can't sew. The last time he tried to sew, the triplets had to wear sweaters in the summertime to cover up the hloes in their shirt. Though, I forgive him.", she said, while giving him a kiss on the cheek.

It was nice to see my parents getting along again. I went to my room once more to find a better outfit. I kept the jean jacket to wear, but long sleeve, gold glitter shirt and my slightly sequined jeggings with my black flats that have a small bow on them.
I returned to the living room, where my parents were all lovey-dovey.

"Ummm... hello?", I called to them.

"Eh, hi, my little care bear", said my dad. "Show us what outfit you picked out this time."

So I tried on the other outfit for them. This time, it was fitting quite well.

"It looks very nice, Carey", said my dad.

"Dinner time!", my mom yelled from the kitchen.

Tonight, it was lasagna. When I sat down to eat, the triplets said "Ooh... Shiny! Cool outfit, Carey", when they saw the clothes I was going to wear to the ice skating rink tomorrow.

"Yes, dear. That's true. You have a great fashion sense", said my mom.

"Thanks", I answered. "If I do say so myself... this is one pretty outstanding outfit!"

***********************