Chapter 10: Acting Swifty at Swifty's

Brad's Point of View

         After school, I hopped straight into Veronica's car. I ordered her to go straight to "Swifty's Swift Shop".

"In case you didn't know Bradley, I'm the driver, but I do need to go there, too to get food and hair supplies", Veronica snapped.

Though Veronica's really bad at parallel parking so we ran over three potholes and she almost tipped the car over.

"Hey Swifty", Veronica and I called at the same time.

Swifty is a middle aged African-American man who is always satisfied to see his customers.

"Hey, it's brother and sister. So what do you want?", he asked.

" Just a box of chocolates", I told her.

While Veronica vanished into the Hair Products aile.... Her favorite section in just about every store. There was a huge variety of chocolates. Caramel, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, large boxes, medium boxes, small boxes... Anything just about... Well not really, but you know what I mean. I tried to work as fast as I could so that I could play computer games until I wanted to stop, but I couldn't make up my mind on which chocolates to buy. Therefore, I chose to pick the dark chocolate and milk chocolate set with a heart ring pop attached at the front.

" Little bro, are you ready?", Veronica called from the checkout.

"Umm... Yeah. I'll be right there, I responded.

I was broke,  so I begged Veronica to pay for it for me.

" Ok, ok", she said. "I don't see why you like chocolate anyway."

I kind of wanted to tell her that the chocolates weren't for me, but I chose to keep my mouth shut. After we pulled into our condo, our parents greeted us.

"Hello Bradley and Veronica. How was your day?", they asked.

" All went well. Thanks!", I answered while running upstairs to play computer games.

After a few minutes, I heard my parents yell, "Veronica Anne Morgan, come here"!

As you could probably see, my parents sure like to call us by our full names when we're in trouble. I ran downstairs to see what the problem was... I was definitely eavesdropping.

" Veronica, you for got to buy fruits, laundry detergent, juice and bath soap!", yelled my mother. "Is all you care about when you go to store are hair products? You hair looks fine."

I'm pretty sure Veronica saw me eavesdropping because that's when she said " I'm sorry. I'll take Brad wit me again."

I figure she was trying to pry me from my computer games.

When she came my way she said, "Come on, as you probably heard, we are going back to Swifty's."

We got in the car. "Thanks a lot, sis.", I said sarcastically. "Now I have to take a break from my computer games."

"Oh hush. You need break from computer games anyway", she told me.

" Says the one who's addicted to her iPhone ", I said.

When we arrived at Swifty's shop, Swifty greeted us once more.

" Hello again, you two. What's the matter?", he asked.

"Ehh... Veronica just forgot some things", I told him.

During helping Veronica, Frank, Alexander, and Kenneth came in.

" Hi Brad", they called.

"Hola", I responded while hurrying to get home.

" How was lunch with Carey?", Frank asked.

"If you wanted to know so badly, then you guys wouldn't have ditched me", I snapped.

" We just wanted to give you and Carey some privacy", Ken said with  smirk.

"Yeah sure", I said with sarcasm. But don't ditch me again. What are you buying here anyway?"

"We were in the mood for spicy junk food, so we bought some spicy cheetos", said Alex.

" Cool. By the way, Carey and I are going ice skating tomorrow ", I told them.

" Awe... That's nice, but none of us will be able to hang out tomorrow, on account of we are all too busy", said Frank.

"Well , I'll see you around", I stated. I'm going to be occupied tonight as well."

"Seriously, Brad, we know you are dying to play computer games, but you are truly addicted", Ken told me.

By the time we were done our conversation, Veronica was already done paying for what needs to be purchased. We got back into the car and drove our way home. As soon as we go home, I was off to my computer. Since I run track, I was playing my track and field. After about 45 minutes, it was time to eat dinner. We had baked macaroni and cheese, my mother's specialty. We ate until we were full. Afterwards, Veronica thanked me and gave me a high five

"Thanks, little bro. We sure were acting swifty at Swifty's!"

*********************************************************************