Chapter 2

Charlotte's  POV

"Peter, I knew telling her was a bad idea."

Peter turned to me and pulled me close. "She'll come around, she just needs time. It's been years, Charlotte. You know how close she was to him; she just needs to think it through."

I shook my head. "I know, but still..." My eyes found Peter's face. "I really wish she wasn't so upset about losing him."

"Let's go for a hunt," Peter suggested.

"And leave Bella alone?" I asked him, incredulous. "Peter, she just found out that her brother is now with the Cullen's, and she's devastated. Do you really think it's a good idea?"

Peter smiled at me, pulling me even closer. "It's OK. I'll know if she tries to run off."

At that, I couldn't help but smile at my mate. "You always do."

Bella's POV

After crying for maybe an hour or so, I looked up and rubbed my eyes, wiping the tears away. I took in a deep breath of air, and let it out slowly. Standing up, I opened my door and headed downstairs. "Peter?" I called out.

There was no answer. They must have gone hunting. I thought. I went downstairs, and just opened the front door after deciding to go for a walk, when Peter and Charlotte appeared in front of me. Peter immediately pulled me in for a hug.

"Are you okay?" he asked me.

I sobbed into his chest. "I don't know. I'm so confused."

Charlotte placed a hand on my shoulder. "I'm sorry, Bella. I told Peter this was a bad idea," She gave him a piercing look.

"I'm going for a walk," I said, pulling away from them both.

"Do you want us to come with you?" Charlotte said, placing a hand on my arm to stop me.

I shook my head. "No, I just want to be alone," I sighed, then said, "I'll be back soon."

Jasper's POV

I had stayed where I was for almost an hour. After Bella left, Alice told me that Peter and Charlotte were going to tell her the truth. I figured she'd come back, but I wasn't sure when, so I stayed. The rest of my family went home about a half hour ago. They wanted me to come with them, but I continued to refuse. Finally, they just gave up.

I looked up and saw Bella walking down the street, hands in her pockets, head down. It seemed as though she had been crying. She looked up when she was within a few feet from me. Bella stopped where she was.

Her lips parted slightly, her face took on a look of shock, fear, and confusion, and her eyes appeared empty, like the light had left them. "Jasper?" she whispered. "Is it true? You're with the Cullen's now?"

With a heavy heart, I nodded. "Yes, it's true," I watched as Bella closed her eyes, pained, and turned away. "Bella," I started to say. "I'm sorry."

Bella looked up at me, tears in her eyes. "Why didn't you say anything?"

I sighed. "Believe me, Bella, I wanted to. But, I just... couldn't." I explained.

"Why not?" she asked me.

"Because it's too dangerous," I responded seriously.

Bella's face took on a look of anger and confusion. "Dangerous? Why would it be dangerous? Because you're a vampire and you had to stay away from me?"

I froze, completely shocked. "You know?"

"Of course I know," Bella said, giving me a duh look. "I've known for months."

"How did you find out?" I asked her, incredulous.

"Peter and Charlotte told me," Bella said. She paused then, and looked me in the eyes. "Peter and Charlotte... you know them, don't you?"

I nodded again. "Yes, I do. I met them when I was in the army."

"They told me that," Bella said quietly. "Why would it be dangerous for me to know?"

I sighed. She won't give up until I tell her. I thought. Might as well. "Humans have presidents to lead them, make rules to protect them," I started out. "Vampires have something called the 'Volturi'."

"Volturi?" Bella echoed, confused. "What's the Volturi?"

I shook my head. "Not what, who. The Volturi are like rulers to us. They are in control of every vampire in existence. If they step out of line, by killing many humans to the point where people start to get suspicious, then they kill them," I looked Bella squarely in the eyes, and said, "If a human knows our secret, they kill them."

Bella's face twisted into a look of fear, and her face lost all color. She was now almost as pale as I was. "Kill them?" she repeated, her voice quivering with fear.

I stepped forward and placed my hands on her shoulders. "Don't worry, Bella. I won't let anything happen to you.  I'm not going to leave you again... I promise."