Chapter 14

Bella's POV

I didn't think. I didn't stop to catch my breath. All I did was run. Run away from the house, from Alice, from Jasper... my own brother! I thought about what just happened between us, and ran faster, wanting to put as much distance between us as possible. 

I suddenly heard footsteps running behind me, so I whipped around and lunged at my follower, knocking him to the ground. My eyes met his, and I instantly relaxed. It was only Edward. I stood up and took a few steps back, giving him some space. He stood as well, and outstretched his hand. I placed my hand in his, and he gave it a gentle squeeze. 

"Are you okay?" Edward asked me, searching my face. 

Sighing, I shook my head. "No. I'm mad." 

Edward laughed and I glared at him. He instantly quieted. "I'm sorry," he said, still smiling. "It's just... you're so cute when you're angry." 

This was not what I expected him to say. "Thanks...?" 

He laughed again and pulled me into his arms. "Crazy, silly Bella." 

"Dude..." I said, pulling away. "They're not... coming, are they?" 

"No, they're not," Edward responded. "Carlisle and Esme are speaking with Jasper, while Emmett and Rosalie are yelling at Alice. To be honest, I'm glad you left." 

"Why?" I asked him, hurt. 

"Bella, don't take that the wrong way," Edward pulled me close again. "You wouldn't want to be there if you saw how bad things get when Rosalie gets angry and starts yelling."

I nodded. "Oh. So..." I tried to think of something to say. "What are we going to do about Aro?" 

Edward stiffened at the name. "Speak of the devil..." Keeping me close, he turned slowly around and faced the Volturi. Only this time... their group was double what it had been before.