Chapter 14

"It's hard to tell who has your back, from who has it long enough just to stab you in it...."

― Nicole Richie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We're good to go," Haley said. I looked at what she was wearing: a cute pink strapless sundress and a pair of brown wedge sandals that accentuated her glossy brown hair that was in a messy bun.

I was wearing a long halter blue and green maxi dress that went down to my ankles. I wore brown gladiator sandals with this. Haley said that they were to show off my newly blue painted toe nails. My hair was straightened and put up in a sideways pony tail that touched my shoulders.

I will say this. We looked hot.

"You girls look amazing," Dan said to us both. He looked at me and held my eyes, I could not look away so I just stared. He nodded his head slightly at me and turned away. I smiled. Dan and I were becoming friends. What I once thought was impossible.

"So the limo's on the way. Most likely'll be here in five minutes. Just enough to have any final touches or have a snack." Haley's mum said. Haley looked just like her. She was skinny and tall and her brown hair looked exactly the same as Haley's. I looked at my brown hair, mine was less glossy than theirs and a bit shorter.

Haley and I kinda looked alike, we both had brown hair and we were about the same height. I was a bit taller. Haley had hazel eyes like my mum and Aunt Vicky and I had brown eyes, so unfair.

"No, mum, no snacks," Haley said to her mum. "We don't want to ruin our makeup."

"Saving it for the boys are we?" Dan teased.

I blushed but Haley kept a steady face. "Yes, yes we are."

*******************************************************************************************************

The lights that welcomed us to the party at the beach were blinding.

"Jesus, these lights are dangerous," I said.

Haley smiled, "this is the only time we get a close up to the paparazzi so smile and show them what a good time you're having."

I smiled back and we got out of the limo.

Haley came out first and I could hear screams of fans and cameras flashing. I watched as she posed for cameras. I smiled to myself. Haley was really good at making people envious of her. She looked amazing and the amount of cameras that were going off proved that.

Next, it was my turn to leave the limo. I gulped and said a silent prayer to anyone who was ready to listen.

I put out one foot on the red carpet and paused to catch my breath. Easy, Vonnie, you can do this. I put out the second foot. I took in a deep breath and got out.

The lights blinded me for a second but after that I was alright. Lots of cameras moved away from Haley when they noticed me. She frowned and I smiled and mouthed sorry to her. The cameras were on me now, lots of microphones were pushing their way to get to me. I smiled again, loving the attention, maybe Hollywood wasn't so bad after all.

I posed for several cameras and then when I got tired I answered a few questions.

The questions were just a bunch of "how's the dancing?" And "what do you think of Hollywood?" There were a few "ooh can you tell us why you like this dress?" But there were no questions asking about Kayla or Josh. Surprising. Maybe this would turn out to be a good party after all.