Rebirth, Rewind.

I remember the feeling I felt when my mother told me that she was getting remarried, and (the even worse feeling when finding out it was)to my principal made things worse. He was a very cruel man who didn't care much for teenagers, and as I was just fresh out of high school, my mother decided to ship me off to my relatives in Albuquerque in New Mexico. 

To my uncle Walter, and aunt-by-marriage Skyler whom I had only met once when I was very young, so I didn't remember either of them. Apparently, they've wanted custody of me for a very long time. Kind of odd, seeing as I hardly know these people at all.

Finally, having my bags packed for weeks, I was ready to go. The plane ride was going to be quite long, as I was far away from New Mexico. My mother hardly said bye at the airport, and Steve was too busy making out with my mother. Life was unbearable, and both of them just made it worse.

I loved living in New York, as the city life has always intrigued me. Being pulled away from it just made me feel sick. I was leaving behind many friends, and family of course. My mother told me it would be a good chance for me to meet my father's side of the family, as my uncle Walter was my dad's brother.

On the plane, I felt very queasy. The flight attendant asked if I wanted a bag of nuts, and I declined. It just sounded horrible, and my stomach was doing summersaults and back flips. The distance seemed longer and longer, even if it was getting shorter. I felt like it would go on forever. Would I even get there?

Finally, the seatbelt light turned on, and I knew we would be landing soon. I was very hopeful that someone would be at the airport to come get me. It was a really frightening thought of meeting these people for only the second time in my life.

Walter was there, with a younger man, who seemed to have some kind of disability, as he was walking with crutches. I felt like he was Walter's son. When I saw them, I knew who they were because of the pictures my mother had shown me of them. That's the only thing I had to recognize my relatives.

"Hi Walter...I'm your niece, Vanessa." I said, hoping this would suffice as an introduction.

"Hi Vanessa. I'm Walter, your uncle, and this is your cousin, Walter Jr. Skyler is at home making dinner for all of us."

I followed them to his SUV, and I got in the backseat. I figured Walter Jr. was old enough to be in the front seat, as he was only two years younger than me.

I was excited to meet Skyler, she would probably be a very good mother figure to me, seeing as I don't even have a mother anymore. Anyone who abandons their child for their new found love should be put in prison for an indefinite amount of time. There is just nothing sensible about that in any way.

Driving to Walter's house was quick and easy, and I gained an appetite as the drive went on.

We got to the White's place of residence twenty minutes later, and I was greeted with the smell of barbecue chicken, mashed potatoes and corn. It smelled so good, I began salivating. Wiping the drool, I met Skyler and she showed me the way to the spare bedroom. I was across the hall from their nursery, as Skyler was pregnant, and she was going to have a baby very soon.

I sensed some tension, so I went into my room for the time being. It was quite big, and I was set up with a dresser, a desk for my laptop, a queen-sized bed and two decent-sized end tables.

The room had a nice, big window with a great view of the backyard. I noticed they had a pool out back, and I was really excited to try it. Skyler called us all into the dining room for dinner. As hungry as I was, I was still a bit squeamish about having supper with a family that I just met, even if they are my relatives.

Supper went by quickly, and after dessert I helped Skyler out with the dishes. Then it was quiet time, as it was almost 7:30, and Walter Jr was doing homework. I didn't want to be cooped up in the house, so I inquired about the pool. It wasn't ready yet, so I inquired about any convenience stores nearby. There was one, but it was in a bad part of the neighborhood.

So, I headed out, sweater pulled on, cigarette in my mouth, and sneakers on my feet. I felt a bit unstoppable that night, and I knew that my life had seriously changed. Walter and Skyler seemed like okay parent figures, Walter Jr didn't really care for me, and there was only a baby on the way. Babies rarely hate people. The only thing I did notice that was off was that Skyler and Walter always seemed like they were in a fight.

Finally making it to the store, which was a 7/11, I decided to buy some spicy beef jerky and another pack of smokes. The guy working seemed twacked out, so he didn't ask for any I.D.

Coming out of the store, a man a little older than I stopped me. He was saying something, but I felt too dazed to even want to understand. 

He repeated what he said, but this time I was too busy observing him. He was wearing a toque, even if we were in New Mexico. His pants were baggy, as was his shirt. Nevertheless, his wild eyes and smirk made me weak in the knees. He was definitely some kind of bad boy, which had always been my type.

"Want to buy some crystal, honey? Purest shit you'll ever experience...it's even blue, which will compliment your eyes." He finally repeated it so I could make sense of it.

I blushed at the last part of the sentence, but finally decided for his first question.

"Are you kidding? Of course...how much?"