Chapter 24: Connection

Location: Mountain of Ucka, eastern border of the Istrian province. 

Time: Same day, almost noon.

I was slowly waking up in the back of one of the buses of the convoy. I rose into a seated position to look out the window and noticed a familiar view. A mountain in front of us. We were not moving. The convoy had stopped once again on the other side of the mountain. It appears we were in luck as tunnel were clear and we already passed through them. An old parking lot was filled with buses, cars and people walking around, enjoying the sun and the view. The gulf of the city of Rijeka, once flooding with lively water and an island in it called Krk, now a single a piece of  dry land. The island now appeared as just another mountain. Ship wrecks all around the gulf presented another sight of destruction. I walked out the bus and encountered Leh-nna and Sergey. 

-Oh. You're up. How are you feeling?- Sergey asked me worriedly. 

-I'm fine. My head hurts a bit it is going to pass. What happened in there?- 

-You don't remember?- Sergey asked. 

'Tony, Jane, Phillip, Eugene and the others came after us and got there just in time, I might add. I was about to collapse of exhaustion when Phillip grabbed one of the Devourers and Jane jumped on the others. Eugene and Despo got to you and carried you out while Mike and Tony stayed to assist me.' Leh-nna was lying on the floor, relaxing, licking her wounds on her front legs. I felt disturbed by the sight of her being injured. 

'I'll be fine. I've been through worse.' she appreciated the concern I showed. 'It's you I'm worried about. You need to practice that ability.' 

-You mean that blast?!- I finally got the chance to talk it out with her. 

'It's not just a blast. It's pure concentrated energy, which you draw from yourself. You know how it could end up, don't you?' she asked me. 

-Like it did back there?- I wasn't sure if that's what she meant. 

'Even worse. If you use it too much, you could fall into a coma, even die.' she warned me. 'You need to learn control over it and dose the appropriate amount of energy you need.'  

-How do I do that?- I was curious and cautious now. 

'First of all, it was never meant for melee combat. It is a actually a range attack. A Prodyan trait which appeared with evolution. Almost every Prodyan can do it. But only some can control it completely. You have to learn how to stabilize, so you can make it strong enough to withstand on its own for the time of travel towards the target. How do you do it?' she asked me. 

-I don't know. It just comes as a feeling.- I answered looking at my left, grey scaled arm and still brownish palm. 

'So it's instinctive. Now you just have to do it whenever you want.' Leh-nna was looking at me. 

-That ain't easy, is it?- 

'No one ever said it would be.' she actually didn't answer the question I asked but ignored it. 

-Oh! Aevos. You're up. You stupid motherfucker!- Tony was walking towards me with his giant mutated shoulders and arms. -Never do that again! Understood?!- 

-Yeah.- I smiled. -Thank you for coming after me.- I was grateful for that. 

-Don't thank me. Alexandra is the one who called us and told us what you were doing. Eugene went after you but we caught soon enough.- he explained. 

-Oh really? Well, where is she now?- I asked. 

-She is looking around from that peek up there.- Tony pointed with his hand towards a peek pointing out about five hundred meters above ground.