Ch. 12

"How? How the hell did this fucker find us" Janette said.
"I don't know..... I don't know" I replied.
"I thought we finally rid of them"
"Shhh. You're gonna wake Sophie. Let her rest. She's all over the fucking place. We need to let her sleep." I said.
"What are we gonna do about Josh's mother? Do we still go?"
"Of course we still go. He was my best friend. You're boyfriend. We can't leave her by herself. Right?"
Both of us stayed silent. We had no answer.
"Let's talk about this tomorrow. I need to think this over." Janette sighs and says
"Yeah... You're right. Goodnight"
"Goodnight"
I walk into our bedroom and see Sophie sitting on the bed awake.
"I thought you were sleeping"
"I can't sleep. I thought they finally left us."
"I know I know. That's what Janette said too."
"This is weird. Do you remember the note from the day Josh..."
"Yeah. First they made up the fucking lie which convinced Josh to kill himself."
"What have I ever done to anyone! Why souls someone come after me like this!"
She starts tearing up. I grab her and pull her close.
"Babe listen. Of course you've never done anything wrong. People will hate for no reason. Just ignore them and focus on the people who are always with you and support you no matter what. They are the reals one that you should be listening too." She looked up at me and her eyes full of tears.
"I know! It's just he or she is supposed to be gone. They killed Josh and...now... Who knows what else they'll do. I don't want anything happening to anybody else. I already feel like shit!"
"No babe. What the hell. It's not your fault. You weren't even there when he did. Listen you had NOTHING to do with it. Just focus on the positive ok. Sophie can you do that? Can you focus on the positive? For me?" I said. She looked out the window and stared. After a while she nodded slowly at me.
"Ok that's good. Just get some sleep and then we'll go get sushi tomorrow ok. Anything you want." She laid down and I put the blanket over her.
"Goodnight babe." I kissed her and started walking out.
"You're not sleeping here?"
"I am. I'm just gonna get some water. I'll be back. I promise." I shut the light and closed the door. I headed downstairs to our basement that was transformed into a small man-cave/gym. I headed to the punching bag and put on gloves and started punching. I went 20 minutes straight punching. Janette came down and I didn't see her. I just kept punching.
"Couldn't sleep either?" She said.
"....." I kept punching.
"Listen Taylor. I know we thought this was over but you gotta take care of yourself too. Take our own advice and ignore him." I punched harder and faster.
"Taylor! Listen. I G N O R E him. He's doing exactly what you told Soph. He's trying to piss you off." I punched more harder and faster.
"TAYLOR!" I unhooked the bag from one punch.
"Taylor please listen to me." Janette tried talking. I grabbed a towel and wiped my face. As I'm about to walk past her she grabs my arm and says
"Be careful ok? Don't do anything you me or Sophie will regret."
"I will do nything for Sophie and you to keep you two safe. You're hers and my best friend. You're a sister to both of us. She's everything I have left. Not gonna lose her or you." Janette looked shocked. She let go of me and headed upstairs. I went to the couch that was down there and slept there.

Next morning I walked upstairs and saw Sophie cooking. I saw Janette at the kitchen entrance standing there. I walked up to her and said
"What is she doing?"
"I don't know. I came down here and saw her cooking."
"Listen about last night-"
"Don't worry Taylor. It didn't happen."
" 'Preciate it. Let's go talk to her."
I led the way and sat on the stool.
"Hey beautifuls. Eggs?"
"Hey to you and sure." Janette sat beside and whispered
"Why is she acting like nothing happened?"
"I don't know but flow with it. So... Sophie how you feeling?"
"To be honest I thought I'd feel 100 times better acting like last night never happened but I'm not that good of an actress yet."
"Awww" Janette said as she rushed over to Sophie. They hugged.
"Listen Sophie just leave it. Nothing happened last night ok just sit down I think I know something that can help."
She sat her down at the dining table. I was confused so I go to the fridge to get some orange juice.
"Taylor. Come here too. We all 3 need to talk."
"But I need my ju-"
"Now" Janette said.
"Ight damn. A dude can't even get juice in his own house." I sat down
"Ok here's a proposition. Since Josh's mom invited I thought maybe only Taylor and I go to LA."
"Nope. Nope not gonna happen." I got up and walk away.
"Sophie wait here for a second. Think about it ok." Janette came after me and pulled me over.
"I'm not leaving her alone. I'm not going to. And I can't. Not after what happened. "
"Taylor I know but listen. She needs time alone. Both of you do. I know it sounds dumb but trust me I've been there. Listen. I know what I'm doing. Please trust me." She said.
"HOW DO YOU EXPECT ME TO LEAVE HER ALONE. I LOVE HER I CANT. JAN YOU KNOW HOW MUCH SHE MEANS TO ME"
"I know. Taylor please. It's the best for both of you. You know that she feels responsible for what happened to Josh. How do you think she's gonna react when she sees Josh's mom? Think about her. If she's here she'll have time to think. If you're not gonna agree for me at least do it for her." It took me some time to be convinced but Janette did. We both go sit back with her.
"Ok Sophie. Taylor and I both agree that you should stay here and us both will visit Josh's family. Right Taylor"
I nod slowly and slightly. All I did was stare at Sophie. All I could think about was what she would do if we left her alone. Would she do what Josh did? Would she run away? I couldn't figure it out. I didn't want to figure it out.