Chapter Eight A Merchant's Secret

Watching the fiery glow shine across the barrel of his pistol, Strife stood leaning against the the rock wall of the tunnel that led to the Council's chamber. Glancing his yellow eyes up from the weapon, he caught sight of Death approaching. His oldest brother may have worn a mask, but Strife could still see his orange eyes. They were practically ablaze with swirling emotions of anger and worry.
Although part of him knew better, Strife still just had to make a remark of some sort.

"What's the matter? Council chew you out again?"

"No" Death answered, irritation and more evident in his tone.
"But they did just inform me they've sent Carina on her first mission. Alone"

"Well, that's a good thing, right?"

"Not really. She's been sent to capture two people. One of which is a man named Draegan. I'm sure you've heard of him"

"Ooh..."

"Yes, 'oh'. So do you see my problem now, Strife?" Death asked as he pushed past his younger brother.

"I guess, but come on. Just remember who you're talking about. She helped you stop corruption and survived a century on a post apocalyptic Earth, so yeah. She's got this" Strife told him as he quickly followed, returning his pistol to its holster.

The eldest huffed lightly as he trudged on.
"At least one of us is meant to wait around until she's finished or requires assistance"

"Well then we'll see the kid in action if nothing else. You worry too much, Death. She'll be fine"

But even then, the eldest didn't stop and two words slipped out from behind his mask.
"We'll see..."

<<>><<>>

Filthy water containing who knew what sparked up as quick footsteps thrashed through its masses. Chunks of glass shattered and even a well-decayed bone or two snapped underfoot.
But Carina's mind refused to become phased by any of this. It simply remained focused on the path ahead and the task of planning the Auralin's next move.
She had to put as much distance between herself and the Hellguard as possible and find the two she was after.
This was going to be fun...

---

His flight was almost silent as his wings only flapped on occasion as he glided through the air, allowing the wind to carry him.
The young Angel kept his gaze fixed on the Auralin below.
Who was she?
Was she the one that had been killing the Hellguard?
Or was she really sent by the Charred Council?
He just had to find out.

Closing his wings a little, the Angel allowed himself to fall lower and lower.

---

Although her endurance was becoming something to be reckoned with, Carina still felt the need to stop for a moment; mainly for her mind's sake.
She turned slightly to look back the way she'd came. With any luck, Uriel and the others would have far more trouble finding her a second time.

Running and hiding for dear life in the husk of a broken city. Nothing brought Carina back to her very roots as much as this.
The river of memories began flowing through the girl's mind, but she stopped it before its banks could burst; something she'd become almost accustomed to doing over time.
But something else snatched the Auralin from her trance.
The brief flap of wings. The thud of feet touching down.

Carina instantly turned, a blade already forming and extending from her wrist.
To no surprise, she found herself staring straight in the face of an Angel. But this one was...different. She took in as much detail of him as possible nonetheless.
Unlike other Angels, this one had abandoned the trend of platinum hair. Instead, dirty blond and slightly spiked hair covered his head. Unlike the Hellguard, the boy didn't have armour of any sort. Only simple clothing in hues of white, blue, grey and brown. However, he didn't go unarmed. A leather belt around his waist housed a pair of daggers.
The final thing Carina noted was the boy's deep blue eyes that stared into her own.