Chapter 6- Exchange For Silence

{"It takes grace to remain kind

                                                    in cruel situations"}

My entire body was frozen in fear, my shaky knees barely keeping me upright while Ellis clicked his tongue and made disapproving noises under his breath. When my eyes locked with his cold brown ones, he smirked and leaned against the wall, watching me closely. I took my opportunity and jumped forward, aiming for the back door that led to the party but he quickly stopped me by putting his arms on the wall either side of me.

"Ah, Ah, Ah. Where do you think you're going?"

I quickly looked around to check that we were alone before whispering under my breath in a broken tone, "Ellis, please."

"I don't think so, freak. You aren't going anywhere until I get what I want" he leaned closer and I wrinkled my nose at the innuendo. "Relax, freak. As if I would ever want to touch you... What I want is a lot simpler, doesn't even require any effort."

"What do you want?" I muttered.

"First of all, I heard your voice out here. That is the obvious fact. But I didn't quite hear the other voice. So who were you talking to?" he questioned.

"No one" I gritted my teeth and tried to step out of his way.

"Not so fast" he chuckled before pushing me back against the wall harshly. "I don't like liars, remember" he reminded me making me swallow heavily.

"I-I..."

"I'll let that one slide, however. But back to what I want...I'm guessing you are seconds away from begging me not to tell anyone that you do speak and that I even caught you in the act-"

"Please...Ellis.."

"Hush, freak. I don't want begging, I much prefer actions. I won't tell anyone about your little secret" he shrugged with a smirk.

"But what do you want from me?" my body stiffened.

"Paisley, Paisley, Paisley...how could you think so low of me?" he cooed like I was a child and I clenched my jaw.

"Maybe because you physically and verbally abuse me every day?" I spat.

"Fair enough. Anyway, in return for my silence, I want your silence as well."

"What?"

"I don't want to see your face at any of these parties again, is that clear? No social events outside of class and if you see me somewhere, turn around in the other direction and never come back. If I am doing this favour for you I want you to do me the pleasure of never having to see your face again for the rest of the school year unless it is necessary. Clear? And if I do see you anywhere like this again" he narrowed his eyes and stepped closer. "You're a dead person walking, freak."

I nodded slowly and shuffled about on my feet. But if I was going to stay away from Ellis Montgomery from now on, the guy who had caused me so much pain and suffering throughout the past years, I was going to ask the question that had been on my mind since it started.

"What did I do?" my voice cracked and he cocked his head to the side, not understanding me clearly. "What did I do to make you hate me so much? If you are just a bitter person then that is fine, I would just like to know if I personally did anything to deserve it."

His eyes widened slightly for a fraction and he blew a long breath through his mouth quietly, looking everywhere but my face. Then he finally drew his gaze back to me and shrugged. "Maybe it is just fun."

I nodded stiffly as I didn't expect anything else and backed away, showing him that I was done here. That we had an agreement. He coughed awkwardly and stepped aside so that I could walk back inside but before I reached the door, he roughly grabbed my arm.

"Don't you ever forget your end of the deal, little Paisley" he whispered coldly and then pushed me slightly away from him as someone else came through the back door, laughing loudly. Ellis' monkeys.

They looked between us for a second, making rude gestures before talking to Ellis about some college girls that had arrived at the party. I took my chance and left like I should have done as soon as I arrived at the party.

...

Later that evening, I got into my comfy pyjamas and collapsed into the safe place that was my bed. But just as I was seconds away from slipping into a deep sleep, my phone lit up with a notification and my entire room was flooded with a soft yet equally harsh light to my sensitive eyes.

It was a text message from an unknown number.

Sunshine, I expected more from you.

My eyebrows furrowed, my mind confused of how he knew what happened between Ellis and I at the party after he had to jump up and get away. I texted him back with shaky fingers.

How did you even know what happened?

His reply was instant, almost as if he knew what I was about to say. I had that feeling often with Aspen Blue, that he knew me better than I knew myself. That he knew so much about me and how I act in different situations for someone who I have told nothing to.

I just guessed that you wouldn't stick up for yourself, and I think I was right. What happened? Are you okay? You didn't do anything stupid, right?

I'm fine, Aspen.

Good. But you need to learn how to stick up for yourself better, I'll add it to the list of things I need to teach you.

You seriously have a list?

A mental one. I'm not giving up on you, Paisley Holden. Even if you might want me to.

I hugged my phone to my chest, frowning in the dark. I didn't want to let Aspen Blue into my life, I wouldn't let him in. But it would be so much easier if he just gave up on everything, opening my eyes as he put it.

Thatnight I had a dream about a blue eyed boy, taking my hand and showing me the mostbeautiful places that I never even knew could exist.