chronological summary

Told mainly in flashbacks, mainly in City of Glass book
When Luke and Jocelyn are 17 years old, Valentine 18 years, Valentine starts Circle Of Raziel in Idris in protest against corruption of Clave, against Accords, and need for more Shadowhunters - Shadowhunter families in Circle are Lightwoods, Fairchilds, Starkweather, Graymark, Penhallow, Morgernstern,Herondale, Pangborn, Blackwell, Maryse Trueblood
1986 Valentine (Val) marries Jocelyn, she is 18, after a few years Jocelyn (Joc) is pregnant- Val experiments on her with demon blood as part of his plan to bring down wards of Idris
Luke becomes werewolf. Val tells Jocelyn Luke is dead and she is depressed - Val gives her drugs
1988 Joc has baby, finds out Luke alive, Joc finds cellar experiments-Joc and Luke plan Uprising to defeat the Circle,
1991 Val experiments on Celine Herondale with angel blood and then Jocelyn when she falls pregnant again. Celine commits suicide when her husband Stephen Herondale is killed - Hodge and Val take her baby to Hodge's house. Clary is born. Joc gets Fell to make coma potion and antidote to avoid torture
Uprising Val is defeated by Nightchildren, Werewolves and Jocelyn in the Great Hall in Alicante. Val's house burns-they think he and his son are dead. Lightwoods and Hodge get clemency for cooperating with catching perpetrators. Val kills Wayland and baby son, pretends to be Wayland and raises 2 boys at different houses for 9 or so years.

Accord is signed by Downworlders and Nephilim- must be signed each 15 years.
Jocelyn takes Clary and hides in mundaneland as she thinks Val is still alive. Luke seeks and finds them when Clary is one (p 49 CofA)
1993 Clary two years old- first mindblock by Magnus, "due month ago-but Magnus in Tanzania
2000 Valentine fakes death of Wayland using Pangborn and Blackwell to avoid capture when Jace is nine. Jace is sent to Lightwoods to live.

Mainly City of Bones Part 1
2007 this appears to happen from June to August, and they miss a lot of school in Book 3 - Pandemonium-Clary sees Jace, Isabelle and Alec kill an Eidolen demon. Comes home late. and finds her mother is taking her away. She is 15 and on summer break- doing Art classes at Tisch. Jace goes to Java Jones. Then saves Clary from Ravener demon in her apartment. Marks her. Jace takes her to the Institute. Luke rejects her. Jace and Clary go back to the apartment and are attacked by a Forsaken. Dorothea reads tea leaves and finds Clary's memory is blocked. Clary goes through portal lands at Lukes. Takes Simon to Institute.

Mainly City of Bones Part 2 and 3
Clary dreams of Idris. Brother Jeremiah at City of Bones finds she has a mindblock signed by Magnus. They got to Takis. Isabelle has an invitation to Magnus's party. Magnus helps Clary remember. Simon is turned into a rat who is stolen by the vampires. Jace and Clary go to the Hotel Dumort to rescue Simon and are saved by werewolves. They escape on a flying motorbike. Jace gives Clary a witchlight in the greenhouse and kisses her on her 16th birthday. Jace is 17, Alec 18, Isabelle is under 18. Clary learns to draw runes. They go to Dorothea's to get the mortal cup and are attacked by a Greater Demon, Abbadon, saved by Simon, Alec is injured. Hodge betrays them and Valentine takes the cup and Jace. Clary finds out Luke is a werewolf. Magnus had said there are only 2 portals in NY so Clary goes with werewolves to Renwicks to find Val and Joc. Val tells Clary, she and Jace are siblings Jace cannot kill Valentine who escapes through the portal. Jocelyn is in a coma and hospitalised. Jace takes Clary to see Jocelyn on motorbike.