ten | betrayal

Valerie. ✖️

It's been weeks and now I was comfortable going out with fearing for my life. The flashbacks barely came back and when they did, I was able to get out of them quickly.

After telling Dick everything, I felt as if I could finally breathe knowing there was nothing else hidden between us.

"Valerie?" I slipped on my shoes and grabbed my purse. I had opted for
something simple, just a black shirt and some light blue jeans.

Dick was going to visit Bruce today and I was going to the mall. It was my first time going out with him, and even though he was unsure of it; I wanted to be able to not have to rely on him.

"Hm?" I turned to look at him but all I saw was worry written all over his face. "I'll be okay, don't worry."

"Are you sure?" He frowned holding on to my waist. "I don't want to lose you, baby."

"You won't." I told him as I leaned my forehead against his. "If anything bad or sketchy happens, you'll be the first I'll call."

"Promise?"

"I promise."  And with that, I gave him a quick hug and kiss as I made my way out.

✖️

Halfway through my shopping trip, I was already wishing I had just stayed home instead or waited for Dick to be able to come with me.

I couldn't help but feel nervous and as if he would jump out of a corner to get me. Most likely, he was locked up but knowing him, he'd probably escape.

I'd only gotten a couple of shirts and a pair of jeans when I decided that I finally wanted to go home.

"Thank you. Come again!" The cashier told me as I made my way out of the store and to the nearest exit.

It was already dark out so I made sure to look at every corner on my way to make sure he wasn't hiding in them.

I managed to make it safely back to my car and let out a sigh of relief when I did so. "Thank god." I whispered to myself.

Just as I was about to put my keys in, I froze when I felt the cold metal of a gun touch my temple. "I wouldn't thank him so quickly, doll face."