Chapter 3

Belle was freaking out.  Her heart was pounding and she was breathing faster than normal.  He was here which meant she had to disappear. 

“What is he doing here!” her brain screamed at her as she hurried away to do a meaningless task where he couldn’t see her.  She wasn’t supposed to ever see him again!  She’d finally stopped cringing over the memory of what she had said to him a month ago.  The meaningless task gave her enough time to calm down and decide that he couldn’t remember their meeting, but then she remembered the clip from that meet and greet of her walking away and him trying to get her to comeback. 

“Idgit!” she mumbles resisting the urge to smack her forehead just as her boss calls her back to the side of the restaurant that One Direction is sitting on.  She takes a deep breath and squares her shoulders forcing herself to not look at him and gets swept up into the whirlwind that exists behind the counters on warm sunny days.  Only once does her resolve brake and she glances his way, but she looks away just as he turns towards her. 

~

Their eyes had locked and then she was gone.  Panic consumed him as he thought of losing her again.  She returned but deliberately didn’t look his way.  “Was she too shy to look at him?” Niall wondered, “or could there be some other reason.”  He didn’t have an answer but he hoped to at least talk to her before he left. 

He spent most of the hour that they were there eating watching her.  It was amazing to watch her; she never stopped moving not for one second.  She moved with a grace the made her look like she was floating and dancing.  She didn’t look their way again and as they got ready to pay she disappeared again.  They all looked around for her as they waited at the register to pay.  They guys were determined to make sure Niall got his chance. 

“Register!” called a busser into the beehive of activity behind the counter.  She emerged not having looked at them and came up to the register.  As she punched buttons on the screen Harry handed her their check.

“How was everything today?” She asks cheerily still hitting buttons.

“Great!” the others say.  She goes still for the first time since they entered the restaurant and finally looks up at them. 

“G- Glad to hear that,” she stutters recovering and going back to her job.  Niall watches her bite her bottom lip again.  Harry turns and gives Niall a look showing that now was his chance. 

“Weren’t you in Minneapolis a month ago?” asks Niall nervously.  She turns bright red and slowly nods her head yes.

“Your total is $41.50,” she squeaks out refusing to look at any of them. 

“He doesn’t bite,” loudly whispers Louis smiling as he hands her the money.  Niall had though it wasn’t possible for her blush to get any redder but Louis’ comment causes the impossible.  Her hands shake as she counts out the change. 

“Your change is $0.50 and here is your recite.  Have a nice day,” she says trying to be cheerful as she returns to her script for work.  As she holds her slightly shaking hand out for Louis to take the change he pretends to be busy with his wallet.

“Niall could you get that for me?” he says off handedly.

“Sure,” Niall say quietly.  He holds his hand out and she sets the slip of paper with the quarters on top of it into his hand.  Her fingers brush his and he feels her trembling along with a warm tingling sensation that travels up his arm and throughout his body.  He can’t be certain but he thinks in the brief second that their eyes meet he sees shame and fear in their green depth.  Before he can say anything a coworker has called to her.  She turns away.