Chapter 6

The drive to Belle’s house for the BBQ the next afternoon was full of teasing directed towards Niall.  He endured it knowing they were getting most of it out their systems before they got there.  When they arrived the door was opened by a man who could only be Belle’s dad. 

“You must be One Direction,” he says ushering them into the house. 

“Yes, I’m Niall and this Louis, Harry, Liam, Zayn, and Paul,” says Niall introducing everyone.  As he was introducing everyone a young man who looked a lot like Belle’s dad came into the room.

“We know, Belle has a couple posters of you guys in her room,” says the young man, “I’m her brother Ben.”

“I’m her dad Dave.  Ben you are so lucky Belle is outside and didn’t hear you say that.”  They all laugh and Dave leads the group outside while Ben disappears.

“The girls are out back by the pool,” Dave says.  As they get closer to the back they can hear someone singing and playing the guitar.  When they get to the back door they see Belle is the one singing and playing the song “Kerosene” by Miranda Lambert.

“She’s good,” says Liam as they all stand by the door listening.  Just as Belle finishes the song Ben sneaks out of the bushes behind her and grabs her sides while yelling in her ear.  Belle shrieks at the top of her lungs and throws her guitar at Jess while jumping up to chase her brother who had the good sense to run away as fast as he can. 

“That’s right you better run!  I’m gonna kill you, you jerk!” Belle yelled as she sprinted past the boys.  She had spit out the word jerk as if she was restraining herself from using other diction. 

“Hey Dev, Jess, does that count as one or two points?” calls Dave as he heads over the grill like this was something his children did every day.

“It’ll count as two only if Belle doesn’t catch him,” says Deven.  The sound of Belle chasing Ben fades as they run down the street.

“Hey Niall,” Jess and Deven say smiling and waving from their places by the pool.

“Hey!” he calls back as he walks over followed by Harry, Zayn, Liam and Louis.  Paul joins Dave at the Grill striking up a conversation. 

“Belle and Ben will be back in five minutes,” says Deven after introduction. 

“What’s going on with those two?” asks Louis.

“They have this war that’s been going on basically since Belle was born where they try and see who can get the most points pranking or scaring each other,” explains Jess.

“So it’s like April Fool’s day every day?” asks Liam.

“Yup,” the two girls say together.

“Who’s winning?” asks Harry who hasn’t been able to take his eyes off Deven since they got to the back yard.

“Belle, by a long shot,” says Deven smiling at him.

“Now she only gets one point for anything while Ben gets multiple points when he can actually get them.  If you get caught setting up the prank or get tackled after scaring the other person you don’t get the points,” adds Jess.

“So how come Belle’s winning?” asks Zayn.

“She always catches Ben and tackles him and he never can catch her or tackle her,” says Jess.

“I swear Belle is part ninja,” laughs Deven.  Just then they hear the front door slam open and two sets of pounding feet in the house.

“Wait for it!” says Jess holding up a finger signaling for silence.  They hear a “Hi Yah!” from Belle followed by Ben’s startled cry and a thud.  Everyone out back lets out an “Ohhhh!”