Chapter 4

“There’s a nature area in the back that’s our favorite place,” she says as she leads him through the school and across the field.  Crossing through the gate and over the foot bridge was like crossing into another world.  There was a gravel path that wound through the trees and a nice grassy area.  The creek trickled by almost silently.  It is secluded even though it is smack dab in the middle of suburbia. 

“It’s like the secret garden minus the locked door isn’t it,” says Belle after leading Niall to a spot where they could set their stuff down.

“Yeah, how did you find this place?”

“Jess lives nearby and knew about it, so when we started taking photography back in high school we started coming here.  The light looks amazing coming through the trees just before the sun goes down,” she sighs dreamy eyed looking off through the trees.  As enraptured as she was by her memories of the beauty, Niall was enraptured by Belle’s beauty.  Her eyes found his and they stood there held captive by each other’s gaze.  Time stops for them as they stand there, unfortunately the spell is broken by the sound of two people talking as they approach.  Belle and Niall each take a step backwards and smile shyly at each other.  Belle turns and pulls something out of one of the bags and unfolds it revealing that it is a pop up changing tent. 

“Can you hand me that?” she asks pointing to a bag as she weighs the corners of the tent down with rocks.

“Here you go,” he says handing it to her just as the voices approach them and stop.

“Hey Jess, hey Dev,” Belle says without looking at them, “Meet Niall, Niall this is Jess and Deven.”  Niall holds out his hand to Jess and Deven smiling.  They just stand there staring with their mouths hanging open.  Deven is on the average height side and has dark skin with shoulder length tight ringlets hair that is so dark a brown it looks black.  Jess is the complete opposite, tall and very skinny with translucent skin and dirty blond hair that falls a couple of inches below her shoulders in natural ringlets.  

“Nice to meet you,” he says trying to snap them out of their shock.  They just stand there staring.  Finally Belle turns around to look at her friends. 

“Wow, this is the longest they’ve been quiet since we were born.”

“I hope you don’t mind I’m here,” says Niall retracting his hand since they aren’t going to take it any time soon.  Turning towards Belle he says, “I thought you told them I was coming?”

“I did, I thought Dev would be screaming by now,” she shrugs.

“So how do we get them out of their shock?”

“Well, I could slap them or we could throw them in the creek.  Both end with a lot of running though.”

“I guess either one could work, which one do you prefer?”  She thinks for a moment then they both say at the same time, “Creek.”  They both laugh and their laughter snaps Jess and Deven out of their shock. 

“You,” says Deven seriously, pointing at Belle, “Field now!”  Belle looks at Niall and shrugs both disappointed they couldn’t throw them in the creek.  Belle follows Deven and Jess out to the field. 

“When did you plan on telling us that you are flirting with Niall Horan!?” Deven practically shouts turning on Belle. 

“I wasn’t going to tell you because there is nothing to tell.  He and the rest of the guys came into Leatherby’s today and he walked me out to my truck then the guys left him without a ride.  I was going to give him a ride to his hotel but he wanted to come help us before I did.”  Jess and Deven look at her with their eyebrows raised.