Chapter 4

Jack's POV

I slowly awoke to the sound of a moving van. I couldn't move my hands because they were tied behind my back, and my feet were chained together. I tried to scream, but they were muffled by the gag over my mouth. I noticed a dull pain in my side, and a sharp but fading pain in my arm from the needle puncture. I looked around at my surroundings. There wasn't much in the back of the van, just me and a couple of boxes labeled: "Do Not Touch". I could hear the two men talking in the front seat, but I couldn't make out exactly what they said. I sighed internally and began to silently cry. My life as I knew it was over. These strange men were most likely arresting me, or worse. I would never get to see my mom again, or work on my inventions, or-

Hiccup.

I would never see Hiccup again.

I could still see him in my head, his endless emerald eyes still drawing me an unsolvable maze, his hair still smelling like sweet alcohol and chocolate cigars. His lips still tingled on my lips and my shoulders and my collarbone and my chest and my forehead and my neck, and his hands still ran themselves down my body and held me like I was a doll. And I could feel him in the tears that ran down my cheeks and in the pain in my side and the chains that held my feet to the ground. But he was gone, and he wasn't coming back.

Hiccup's POV

The Jeep roared down the 5am road like a lion on the prowl. The gun rested on my hand like it was meant to be there. The sun was going to rise today, and when it did, I would be an outlaw.

I was coming back.

Jack's POV

It had been about an hour since I had woken up, and nothing had changed except for the light that shone in from the small windows on the walls of the van. At first it was dark, but not regular dark, not the kind of dark that makes you feel secure and calm, yet scared of the unknown, but that kind of dawning dark that can only be found in the fleeting minutes of the early morning, when the stars have gone to rest and tension and insecurity and chaos lightly dab the air, but excitement and thrill are at their heels, revving up their engines, ready to prevail stronger than ever. This darkness had given way to a glowing sunrise, as glowing as I could see it from where I sat, and even though I couldn't bask in its full glory, I could feel it's breaking of the morning silence and into the light of day. But I couldn't see it, and I was alone, and he wasn't here, and a sunrise wouldn't replace him, not now, not ever.

Hiccup's POV

"Are you sure that's them?" I asked, skeptical of her judgement still, even after all this.

"How could it not be! His tracker shows he's there!" She replied, obviously annoyed with my constant barrage of questions.

"Once again, I strongly oppose to you tracking us."

"That isn't important right now. His life is at stake." My breath hitched and my heart skipped a beat when I heard that.

"You're absolutely right. Let's do it."

Jack's POV

I heard a large car drive up past us and I got a glimmer of hope, but why should I? He left me, he won't be back.

"He's not coming back, you idiot. Stop thinking about him," I thought out loud, sort of yelling the first part at myself for being the idiot that I was. But the second sentence sent a tear out my eye, making my breath skippy and painful.

As soon as I exhaled that last word between tear-ridden breaths, a huge blast came from the left side of the van, and before I knew it, a gaping hole sat in the wall, severed metal strewn all over the back of the van. A man jumped into the back from the large car next to us, and I had no trouble recognizing him.

"You sure about that, Frost?"