79..

March

"Mum?" I looked up, not even realizing I'd been so engrossed in reading my emails I didn't notice Archie walk into the room. He stood in front of me, holding Zach awkwardly, but securely. That brought a smile to my face.

He loves Zach. Crybaby Aria? Not so much.

I'm still working on that.

"Yes, Archie?"

"Zach was coughing again."

I sighed and stood up to take Zach from him, right as he started to cough again. For two weeks, Niall was right; it seemed like he just had a little cold. I called the twins' doctor and did everything she said. Zach even seemed to get a little better. His best day was on Archie's birthday. But just yesterday the cough returned with a vengeance. It was terrifying to see his little face get red and his throat trying so hard to open up and take a breath...

"Archie, get Aria from the crib please."

"But—"

"Archie," I snapped. "I have to get Zach to the hospital, and I can't leave you two here. I don't have time for whining or complaining. So, go get Aria." His shoulders slumped but he we off towards the stairs without any stomping.

While he was gone I got Zach on his cold weather jumpsuit and into the car seat. Just as I came back from rushing him to the car, Archie came downstairs with a grumpy Aria. "I told her you said no whining but she didn't listen....obviously."

"Thank you." I took Aria from him and quickly got her in her jumpsuit. "Archie, go get two bottles from the fridge and three diapers from upstairs. Put them in that bag right there," I pointed to the baby bag by the door. "I'll be in the car."

"Okay, got it."

In the car, Zach was fidgeting, his throat moving as he tried to swallow. Once I had Aria buckled in I got in the front seat and turned around to look at Zach. "It's okay, little guy. We're going to get that all taken care of for you, okay? Mummy's going to make sure of it."

When Archie got in the car I screeched out of the garage and tore down the street. I tapped on the navigation screen and told Archie to scroll until he got to Niall's number and call him. The buzzy-ringing on the speakers calmed Aria and Zach—it did the opposite for me. It rings six times before it went to voicemail.

"Damn it, Niall." Huffed under my breath. Why was he so hard to reach lately? I left a message and didn't try to hide my frustration. "I'm taking Zach to the hospital. The cough came back. It's be nice if you met us there—because you know, you're supposed to be home by now damn anyway."

I jabbed my finger into the screen to end the call.

"Maybe you can call one of his friends from work and tell them to put Dad on the phone," Archie suggested.

"You're a smart boy, Archie. Look for Vince in there."

----

After two hours of sitting in the waiting room, having to keep Archie from wandering off, and Aria from belting out her cried like she really wanted to, I was exhausted and terrified. Zach was my quiet little boy; I want to try and get him into music when he's old enough. It was killing me to even see him—any of my kids, really—in a hospital setting. To see a doctor purse her lips as he felt under his chin and looked in his little mouth as he coughed. Please let it just be a slightly above mild cold.

"Hear that sound he makes when he tries to breathe in?" The doctor said gently, as if I was about to shatter into pieces at any second. Which I was. I nodded. "It's a telltale sign of Whooping Cough."