66..

I smacked Archie's hand away from his mouth before he could start playing with his loose tooth again. Last time he ripped a tooth out too soon, he walked into our bedroom—all casual—with a bloody mouth and Connie passed out. She actually passed out. Granted, his mouth was leaking blood, and it almost sent me into a heart attack too, but...she fucking passed out. I'm not sure how she'll handle seeing him on the football field in the spring.

We actually had time to eat breakfast together today, solely because the smell of Connie making pancakes woke me and Archie up. She seemed bright and cheery this morning. It was a good change after the past couple days of her weird ups and downs. It was nice to see her smiling more.

"Mum, you should eat one of your pancakes," Archie said around a mouthful of food. I hadn't even noticed, but she was only eating yoghurt.

"Not really hungry for them, but maybe I'll have one for later."

"What kind of yoghurt is that?"

"The good kind," she grinned smugly before scooping another spoonful in her mouth. "Don't forget your lunch today okay? I made you a banana and peanut butter sandwich."

"Why don't you make my lunches?" I grumbled.

"Because you're too old," Archie said, as if it was the most obvious thing ever.

I rolled my eyes, "Of course. Finish up so we can head out of here."

"Okay." He scooped more food in his mouth. "Okay, I'm—" and again. "I'm ready. Okay." And...again. "Okay."

"You'll choke!" Connie giggled.

"Nuh uh—" he coughed and half chewed pancakes went flying everywhere. Thank god neither of us were sitting across from him. "Whoops."

"On that note, time to take you to school." I made Archie clean up his...mess...before we got our coats on. "Bye angel," I called as we walked out the door. Archie let out a groan, never liking with I was affectionate with Connie. He says it's gross.

If only he knew how affectionate we got with him only down the hall...

After picking Jonas up, the drive was mostly quiet. Jonas usually fell asleep in the car, and Archie was content with just staring out the window. A short while later I pulled around the front circle of the school and they both hopped out, Archie walking ahead of ever-sleepy, slow walking Jonas. I couldn't even blame him though; I remember being endlessly tired in high school, especially senior year.

I drove around the circle, honking lightly at Maria as she waved goodbye to Jessica and John which got me a wave too. Her husband seemed to be in the car, smiling at something she said to him, and though she was a huge pain in my ass a few years ago, I couldn't help but be happy for her. She really flipped her life around after I got Archie. She later told me it was even one of her best decisions.

My phone rang, dragging me from my train of thought, and once I stopped at a stop sign I hooked it up to the Bluetooth and answered it. "Hello?"

"Hi."

I smiled, "What is it angel?"

"I'm saying hi. I'm about to leave for work."

"What time are you getting home?"

"Five-ish."

"Alright," I muttered. "Anything else you need to tell me?"

"Don't think so."

"Then I'm hanging up, I just pulling into the parking garage." I paused and chuckled, "Thanks for the cute call."

"You can count on me for cute calls."