80*..

Three months later

June

"I'm heading out," I called to Penny. It was three in the morning; my usual quitting time since I started working nights during the week, a little while after Zach came home from the hospital. He has asthma now—the hospital gave us an infant inhaler for him.

"Oh—wait." I looked over my shoulder to see her standing by the register with her Dad—the owner of this chain of bars. I backtracked and stood on the other side of the bar. "Dad, you remember Niall. The newbie."

Her dad—Milt—snorted and rolled his eyes, "Yes, Penelope, you talk about the man enough." He held his hand out and I gave him a firm handshake. "Glad I got to see you before I left. Have a good night."

"You too, sir." He nodded, then once he was gone I asked Penny, "You talk about me?"

"Just how you're adjusting."

"And how am I adjusting?" I let a small smirk tug at the corner of my mouth, not even hiding my satisfaction with making blush crawl up her neck.

"You've adjusted to working nights really well." She paused, "You're doing well here."

"I try," I said with an innocent smile.

"Do you think you'll be free for nights this weekend—to work I mean. There's a bachelor's party booked, and weekends are usually crazy anyway—" she waved a hand, rambling a little. "Well you already know that. So? Think you're up for it, pigeon?" I don't know why she calls me pigeon.

"I'll have to see." I leaned on the counter, "You know. Short notice and everything. I have to see."

Her eyes flared a little as she looked away, "You have to ask wifey, you mean?" I made an affirming noise. It didn't take a genius to know Penny didn't like Connie. And I wanted it that way; I made it that way.

I have a whole story and persona that I become when I'm with Penny. There's Bar Niall and Real Niall. They both are having financial problems. Both weren't on the best terms with their wife. But Bar Niall was the only source of income for his family. His wife was disapproving of his job because it wasn't a corporate office job that paid six figures. His wife caused problems at home. His wife made living at home terrible sometimes. His wife wasted money on stupid things that our family didn't need. Bar Niall was clinging onto his marriage for his kids, because he wanted it to turn into what it used to be, and needed this job to make sure ends were met.

Real Niall's wife was miserable, it was written all over her face, and he was constantly worried about her. His wife did everything she could. She worked hard at a job she didn't like, making not close to as much money as she should be—a couple hundred pounds below half of her old salary. Real Niall's wife was thinking of getting another job so we'd have more money left over after bills and things were paid every month. His wife was the angel she's always been—not a single complaint, never questioning his plan, trusting him—but he could see in her face that she was unhappy.

Bar Niall loved his time away from his wife while he was at work. Real Niall ached to get back home and see her there and okay. Bar Niall was aloof, a man a few words, guarded, always had his arms crossed when his hands weren't busy. Real Niall was always anxious. Bar Niall flirted with Penny because being on her good side has helped him get a hefty pay check for a lowly bartender that's only been working for four months—she's the manager after all. Real Niall hated that Bar Niall even existed.

Connie didn't know who Bar Niall was. Penny didn't know who Real Niall was. And I wanted it that way; I made it that way.

"She can't really say no, can she?" Penny snorted. "You're making money to put food on the table. What the hell is she doing?"