Chapter 1: No Hiding From the Past

(Copyright) © 2011 Candle_Ice

* * * * *

[[A/N]] Pic of Kristen Bell as Lynn Parker at the side! 

Chapter 1

~ [[- Present Day -]] ~

As if she needed a reminder of her high school existence, Lynn Parker stared at her invitation to her class’ 10th year reunion.

Great! Just Great! She muttered under her breath, and threw the invitation, unopened, into the waste paper basket next to her night stand.

She just had a long day and the last thing she needed was a reminder of the pathetic mess she’d been in high school, mooning over that jerk.

But there it was: all the memories of her foolishness- and that night came flooding back to her when she saw that invitation in her mailbox. It burned a hole in her hand on the way up to her floor in the elevator, almost mocking her with its existence. The last thing she ever wanted was to revisit that place. When she left New Valley all those years ago, she never looked back.

And she wasn’t planning on changing that now. She moved on from that horrible, unfortunate period of her life and was someone completely different.

Lindsay Parker was no longer the shy, pimpled faced, four eyed outcast she was in high school. She was confident, outgoing and contacts wearing Lynn Parker, the assistant producer of ‘Sass with Style,’ a popular talk show that dealt with popular trends in clothing, food, music, books... culture. If it was popular, her show covered it.

Her cell phone ran, just as she was about to hit the shower, looking at the caller’s ID, she saw it was Julia, and smiled a small smile; she knew knew what this call would be about.

“Hey you,” she greeted, and continued before her friend could say a word, “Yes, I got my invite, no I’m not planning and going and if you want, you can go, fine by me.”

“Ha! Like I need your permission to go anywhere,” Greg teased over the phone.

“I thought it was Jules, and besides, you need your wife’s permission to go anywhere,” Lynn teased back.

“I am my own man, I don’t--” Lynn heard as Julia take the phone away from him, and came on to talk to her.

“We really need to find him a publisher,” Julia complained, “He’s home all day watching cable, since he’s already finished two manuscripts and has nothing else to do.”

Lynn smiled as she heard Greg’s muffled reply from the other end of the line. She didn’t pay attention to the couple’s banter; they were the happiest married pair she knew. She had to admit that when they came out in college and said they had feelings for each other, she and Stella were a little sceptical that they’ll last, seeing as they were as different as oil and water. But here they were married happily for the past seven years with an adorable 5 year old son.

“Hey you two, while I’m still young here,” Lynn reminded them of her presence on the other end of the line.

“Sorry, hun,” Julia said sheepishly, “Now, where were we? Right! I’m not going to that shindig, neither is Greg, right Greg? ...  He’s nodding in agreement, don’t worry. And I know Stella isn’t going either, if we’re not going.”

“You guys don’t have to skip the reunion because of me. I’m sure everyone, except me, has already forgotten about the ‘Lindsay Parker’ debacle,” Lynn related, “besides, don’t you want to meet up with old friends?”