Chapter 8: Taking Chances.

Everyone takes chances at least once in their life. Whether it's a small chance or big chance. Some people take chances because they want to find out the truth in their situation. Some people feel rebellious and like to see if they can make a change. And some people take chances simply because they have no other choice.

Taking chances. They suck. They really do. Because they can either go exactly how you planned, or they can miserably fail and you'll be crushed for a very long time.

Let me tell you about when I took my chance with Eric.

We were at school just like any normal day. Math class to be exact. Eric and I sat next to each other. I sometimes caught myself staring at Eric. I was always tempted to stare at Eric. But I couldn't let myself, for my feelings for him would only increase in size. 

That day I couldn't focus on anything. I was too busy worrying about whether I should tell Eric about how I feel about him or not.

"Avery?" Eric said, poking my arm.

"Huh, what?" I asked, snapping out of my thinking.

"Are you okay?" 

"Yeah yeah I'm fine. Just got a lot on my mind is all." I said still refusing to look at him.

"Well did you wanna talk about it? Later? After school?"

Now is time Avery. Time to decide if you're going to tell him after school.

"Um, y-yeah, sure..." I said, somewhat regretting my words.

"Well good, because I have stuff that I need to tell you too."

Oh no. 

Thoughts were racing through my mind. He has a girlfriend. That's the only thing it could be. I saw him talking to that weird girl Chelsea earlier today... I bet be asked her out. Tears started forming in my eyes.

I looked at Eric, he looked worried. But before he could say anything, I asked if I could be excused to the restroom.

I calmly walked out of the classroom, but the second the door closed, I ran all the way to the bathroom, in to a stall, and closed it. I covered my mouth and started balling.

I don't even know why I was such a mess. He never even mentioned liking a girl. I was just jumping to conclusions and letting them fill up in my head.

That day after school, I didn't wait for Eric. The second that bell rang I was on my way to the treehouse. When I arrived, I laid down and eventually fell asleep. I woke up to see Eric laying next to me.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"Only 4."

"Why didn't you wake me up?" I asked with a smile.

"Because you were sleeping and I didn't want to be rude. Besides, as creepy as it sounds, I kind of like watching you sleep. You look so peaceful."

"Oh my gosh you're such a pedophile." I said jokingly. "So, what is it you wanted to tell me?" I asked.

"Well... I don't really know how to say this so I'm just going to come out and say it... I think I'm in love."

There goes my heart. Shattered in a million pieces. 

"Oh.." Was all that was able to escape my mouth.

Eric looked disappointed. 

"What was it that you needed to tell me?" He asked.

"Nothing. It's not important now."

"Can I ask you something?" Asked Eric.

"Anything." I said with a fake smile.

"Are you in love with anybody?" He asked.

I just remained silent for the next couple of seconds before I finally answered.

"No, I'm not. I don't even know what love is." I said.

It was a really big lie. Of course I knew what love was. Especially since I was head over heels for him. I didn't know what to think. I got up. Maybe too fast, because I started tripping over my feet. Eric got up, to make sure I didn't fall. Once I gained my balance, I just stared at the ground.

"Avery, I can tell something's wrong. Please tell me." Eric said.

"Eric, I promise you everything is fine. But I should probably head home before my dad gets worried."

"Okay. I'll walk you home."

"No no it's okay. I'm fine." I said.

I walked out of the treehouse not looking back, and continued to run home.

When I got there, I found my dad and hugged him tight.

"Avery whats wrong?" asked my dad.

"I tried telling Eric that I loved him but before I could he said that he was in love with someone else." I said trying to hold in the tears.

"I'm so sorry sweet girl. Well maybe you could try to meet new people and then-" I cut him off.

"Well I don't want to meet new people! I want Eric and only Eric."

"Sweetie I know. Just give it some time."

When I was done talking to my dad I went upstairs, only  to prepare myself for yet another sleepless night.

The next morning I woke up; well I guess I shouldn't say that I woke up, considering that I never actually went to sleep. Anyway, I was super out of it. I had dark circles under my eyes, and I wouldn't talk to anybody. Not even my dad.

When I got to school, I wanted to talk to Eric. But when I saw him, he was talking to Chelsea. So I just left him alone and walked to class.

"Hey" Said Eric behind me.

"Is it her?!" I asked.

"Is what who...?"

"Are you in love with chelsea?" I asked trying to sound supportive for him but failing.

He hesitated 

"Y-yes..." He said looking down. "I'm in love with Chelsea..."

It took all that I had to not break down into tears. 

"I'm happy for you." I said with a fake smile.

"I was um, actually planning on asking her out today..." He responded.

"Oh, I hope all goes well. You'll have to tell me all about it."

I didn't talk to Eric for the rest of the day. As a matter of fact, I didn't even go to our special place that day. I was too heartbroken to pretend that I wasn't. I didn't even want to eat when I got home. I just ran up to my room and fell asleep. When I woke up I looked at the clock, 3:00 AM. Great... I just cried and cried until eventually I fell asleep again. And there went, yet another nightly routine.