Chapter 15: Graduation.

Graduation is a very special day. It is the day that you are no longer a child, but you are now your own person. It is a day to look back about all of the success and failure through your entire academic history. But it is also the start of your life. 

Graduation was two weeks away, and Eric and I still had no idea of our plans afterwards. But what we did know for certain, was that we wanted to spend the future with each other. 

After our little incident, Eric quit the Football team and I quit Soccer. We did spend more time with each other, but it was like we weren't really there. We rarely ever spoke a word to each other. Only when we're saying "Hello", or, "Goodbye." I didn't really mind the silence in all honesty. 

It was the day of graduation. I was at my house with my dad the morning of, discussing what I'm going to do afterwards.

"I think you should move in with Eric." Said my dad.

"But dad he lives just down the road... Don't you think that would be kind of pointless?"

"I meant get your own place."

When my dad said that, I swear a whale died in my stomach. The thought of moving in with Eric scared me, but it made me happy at the same time. 

"I-I don't know dad, I mean, where will I get the money? And we'd still need to find an apartment..." I said nervously.

"Eric's mom and I found an apartment about a month ago and we're going to pay the first six months of rent. It's about 5 miles away from here, 2 bedroom. We were going to give both of you a key after graduation."

Shock took over my body. I didn't know whether to be upset or relieved. So I was both. 

"Dad, why didn't you discuss this with me first?!" I yelled.

"You're upset now but you'll get used to the idea. Just trust me."

That's when it hit me... Suspicion. Why did they plan this behind my back? Does Eric know about it? Something is going on that I don't know about and I need to find out what it is.

About an hour before the ceremony started I put on my nicest dress and shoes and pinned my hair back. I put my cap and gown in my car and went over to Eric's house.

*knock knock*

A few seconds later the door opened. It was Eric.

"Hey! You look gorgeous!" Said Eric giving me a hug.

"And you look handsome!" I answered giving him a kiss.

He grabbed my hand and pulled me inside.

"Did your dad tell you?" Asked Eric.

"I knew it! I knew you had something to do with this! Why am I the last to know? Why didn't we even discuss this?" I asked.

"Trust me." Said Eric.

"You know I trust you Eric but-"

"Then don't worry about it." He interrupted me.

He looked at me, and I got lost in his beautiful green eyes, forgetting about the apartment. Being vulnerable to anything. 

When I snapped out of my daydream, Eric and I put on our caps and gowns and headed towards the car.

"So when were you going to tell me?" I asked with a hint of annoyance.

"I wasn't." Eric replied.

"What do you mean you weren't gonna tell me?" 

"I mean, everything that's already happened was part of the plan."

"What plan Eric???" I asked.

"I guess you'll just have to wait and see." Eric said with a smirk.

When we arrived at the graduation, everyone ran up to me and gave me a hug. This was probably the saddest day of my life. 

The day went by with a bunch of, "I'll miss you"'s and "We'll hang out soon"'s, etc...

At the end of the day, my dad gave me a big hug and he told me how proud of me he was. I couldn't help but cry and hug him tighter.

"Don't cry Avery." My dad said.

"But I'm going to miss not seeing you everyday." I responded.

"I'm only 5 miles away. But if you ever find yourself missing me, just give me a call."

"I will daddy."

I let go of my dad and wiped the tears off my face. Then Eric's mom, (Ms. Riley) gave me a hug.

"Oh Avery. You have no idea how proud you've made me and your father. You are by far the strongest woman I have every met." Said Ms. Riley.

"Ms. Riley, you have always been a second mother to me. Thank you for everything you'e done."

I let go of Eric's mom and then started heading towards the car.

"Wait!" I heard from behind me.

I turned around and saw Eric.

"Eric c'mon!" I called back.

"No Avery stay here. I'm not finished with my plan just yet."

"Oh Eric, don't you think you've had enough fun with your little plan?"

"Not quite. Come, sit down." Eric pointed to a chair on the stage.

"But Eric the audience is down there..." I whispered looking down at all of the people still sitting in the audience.

"That's the point Avery. Just follow along and don't say anything until I'm done..."

Thoughts started racing through my head... Was this a game? Was he going to announce that we were moving in together?

"Now as all of you know, Avery and I have basically been together since we were kids." Eric said holding a microphone.

Everyone nodded and looked at him wierdly in response.

"Avery, you are my best friend, my beautiful girlfriend, and I couldn't ever ask for a better person than you to have in my life. We have been through the best of times and the worst of times. There was even a time in my life where I didn't see you for years. And let me just say, those were by far the worst years of my life. But you came back, just like you promised you would."

I didn't know what to think at this point. All I could do was watch in shock.

"Now the reason I'm doing this right here, is because I want every single one of you to be a witness. For all of you have made an impact on our lives somehow, and there's nothing better than sharing a moment like this with your family."

Eric turned to me, grabbed my hand and knelt down on one knee.

I covered my mouth and tears started forming in my eyes.

"Avery Malik, these past 10 years with you have been the greatest 10 years of my life, and I want to spend the rest of it with you. I want to have all great memories with you, I want to have stupid little fights with you, I want to do everything with you and only you."

I started crying. I couldn't help it.

"Hang on..." Said Eric. "Could you hold this for a sec?" Eric hands my the microphone and I grab it. The audience laughs.

Moments later, Eric pulls out a fuzzy blue box. 

"A-avery could you point the mic towards me?" I laugh and do as he asks.

"With that being said, Avery Malik, will you marry me?"

I cry and nod, and then say yes into the mic. Eric slides the ring onto my finger and I give him a hug and a kiss.

The audience cheers.

And that my friends, was only the beginning of the end.