Chapter 3: Growing Up

One of the most memorable things in someone's life is their childhood. Some people had an amazing childhood. One that they wish they could go back to. They were surrounded by friends and family, and someone was always there for them in every situation. But there are other people who wish they could forget their childhood. It was awful. They didn't have anybody to look up to, or anybody to catch them when they fall. You see, I was in between. My childhood wasn't horrible, but it wasn't one I would go back to. There were good parts and bad parts. More bad than good actually. But I'm not one to complain, after all, it's not like I could do anything about it anyway.

Since my parents were gone most of the time, they rarely ever had time to go grocery shopping. So I had to eat whatever was left in the fridge, which was barely anything. I was like walking sticks as a kid because I ate so little. But I didn't really think much of it. Since I didn't have any friends, I never got to go to anybody's house to see how different their families were. So in my head, everyone was the same.

When Eric became my friend, I didn't know what to expect. Because it was all so new to me. But he treated me so special. Whenever I wasn't smiling he would ask me if I was okay, anytime I fell he would pick me up, he was just always there.

There was one day when I was playing at recess by myself because I couldn't find Eric, and all of these girls came up to me and pointed and laughed, calling me the "creepy weird poor girl with the loner boyfriend" and I started crying. But they just kept laughing and pointing. Moments later, out came Eric. Yelling at them, telling them to get a life and pic on someone their own size. Then he sat down next to me with his arm around me telling me that it was gonna be okay.

Eric and I never got in fights. We would always laugh and play. The only time we would cry is when we had to say goodbye to each other for the day. I didn't know it at the time since I was so little, but I loved Eric.

Everyday after school, instead of walking to my house, I would just walk home with Eric. It became my daily routine. As a matter of fact, Eric's parents treated me more like their child than my actual parents did. His parents started packing me school lunches, and making me dinner. It was more than I could ever ask for.

But whenever it was time for me to go back home, it was always just me. I didn't even remember the last time I saw my parents. I was starting to miss them.

One week, I told Eric I was just going to walk to my house. He looked confused but didn't ask why. He just said okay. When I arrived home, I sat in the living room couch, waiting and waiting for that door to open.

I must've been waiting a long time because I fell asleep. And I woke up to a slight shake.

"Hmmm?" I asked.

"Honey, wake up. Your father and I have a surprise for you." Said my mother.

I was so excited to see her. I jumped up and gave her the biggest hug you could imagine. She giggled and hugged me back.

"I've missed you sweetie." Said my mom.

"I missed you too mommy."

When we finally pulled away, my mom grabbed my hand and pulled me into the kitchen. There were balloons everywhere and there was a cake and streamers. I was so confused. I then looked up and there was a huge banner that said, "Happy 11th Birthday!"

Was it my birthday? I don't even remember the last time we celebrated my birthday.

In the corner of the kitchen was my father with a smile on his face and a big present in his hands. I didn't even care about the present. I ran up and gave him a huge hug. He giggled.

"I love you sweetie." He said.

"I love you too daddy."

My mom grabbed my hand and led me towards a chair.

In front of it was a plate with a slice of cake and ice cream, and next to it was a party hat. I put the party hat on my head and smiled.

"Look over here Avery!" Said my mom holding a camera.

I looked over and gave the biggest smile. My parents laughed.

When I was finished with my cake and ice cream my dad came over to me with the big present.

"Open it" he insisted with a smile.
Of course I didn't hesitate. I undid the bow and picked up the lid.

The first thing I did was gasp and smiled. Inside of it was a small kitten with a big bow wrapped around it's body. It gave out a shriek.

"Thank you so much!!! This is the best day ever!!!" I yelled. And it was.

The rest of that night we tried thinking of a name for my new kitten. We decided on snowball, to match my dogs name. Which if you didn't remember, was Mittens.

When it was time for bed, I gave both of parents a hug and started crying.

"What's wrong baby girl?" Asked my mom.

"I wish we could spend everyday together." I wimpered.

"Well sweetie, your father and I now have one day off a week. So we could spend that day together. Just the three of us, okay?" Said my mom.

But we never did.

I just nodded and went to bed. My parents followed and tucked me in.

That was one of the last times I ever saw my mother.