Chapter 14: Mistakes.

Everyone who is human makes mistakes in their life time. Whether it's cheating on a lover or a math test. Or saying something that you probably shouldn't have. I'd like to think that people make mistakes for a reason, but sadly it's only because of their foolish life choices.

Ever since Eric made that little promise proposal, we did everything together. People used to look at us funny in school, but soon enough, we became that couple that everyone knew. It was never just "Avery", or just "Eric," It was always "Avery and Eric this", or "Avery and Eric that". We would always spend all of our time together. And when I say all of our time, I mean all of it. It soon became almost the end of August and out Senior year of school was almost starting. We decided that we should do something with ourselves other than spend every second of our lives together, so I tried out for the school's Soccer team and Eric tried out for the school's Football team again. 

We both got on. 

But a couple of months after school started, we both realized that we made a big mistake.

It was November of 2005. 

Eric started becoming more popular than normal, especially because he was the quarterback. So cheerleaders and volleyball players were obsessing over Eric all the time. It soon got to the point where Eric was spending most of his time entertaining all of the girls that were ogling over him and he started spending less and less time with me. 

I figured it was just a phase and I let him have his fun. 

I started putting all of my time in Soccer and trying to improve myself.

One day I wanted to test Eric and see if he still goes up to the treehouse. I'm not gonna lie I've kind of been skipping out on the treehouse for a couple of weeks.

But to my surprise, nobody was in the treehouse except for me. My heart broke a little bit when I found out that Eric hadn't been going up to the treehouse. But I was being hypocritical considering I haven't been going up there so I let it slide. 

I decided to stay the night in the treehouse because I was tired of being home. Luckily the next day was only a Sunday. I'm sure my dad wouldn't mind me skipping Church for once.

When I woke up, I got up and ran home. 

"Honey where on Earth have you been?! I've been worried sick about you." Said my dad hugging me tight.

"I spent the night in the treehouse. I'm fine dad I promise." I reassured him.

"Next time I want you to tell me when you're going somewhere." Said my dad.

"Okay I will." 

I walked into my living room and to my surprise I found Eric sitting in our couch.

"Well, long time no see." I said in an annoyed tone rolling my eyes.

"Hey hey, what's wrong?" Asked Eric getting up.

"Nothing Eric, everything's fine." I said sarcastically.

"Don't be like that."

"Don't be like what?" I asked.

"Shady. I know something's wrong."

"It doesn't matter because you clearly don't care." I said.

"Of course I care Avery. I care more about-" I cut him off.

"More about me than anyone else I know I've heard it a million times." I said.

Eric remained silent.

"I just wish it were true." I said under my breath.

"What are you talking about?!" Eric said sounding defensive.

"Can we talk about this somewhere else please?" 

Eric nodded.

We walked up to my room, and I shut the door behind us.

It took everything I had not to cry. But I failed.

"Babe you're seriously scaring me. What is going on?" Asked Eric.

"Ever since you joined the stupid Football team you've been spending less and less time with me and more time with those dumb cheerleaders who flirt with you 24/7 and you flirt with them back!" I started getting angry. I pulled off the promise ring Eric gave me and threw it on the ground.

"I don't see the point in this stupid ring anymore cause you already broke one of the promises how do I know that you're not gonna break more?! You're just gonna leave me!" 

I lost full control of myself. I started yelling and throwing things and soon enough I just fell on the floor balling uncontrollably.

"Avery I will never ever leave you. I didn't realize that I was flirting with them and I apologize for that. I've tried talking to you a million times but those girls wouldn't leave me alone. I love you more than anything and I wouldn't leave you for a million dollars. So put the ring back on, and come here." Said Eric.

I put the ring back on and sat closer to Eric.

"I'm sorry. It's just, I was scared that you would stop spending time with me and then you'd break up with me for someone else." I said.

"Well you've been focusing more of your time with Soccer so I just assumed that you were busy all the time."

"I've been doing that because you were always hanging out with those girls."

"Avery I'm sorry. I promise that I'll start spending more time with you. I love you."

"I love you too Eric." I said.