Chapter 11: The Truth

I respect those who tell the truth. Even if it's the hardest thing that they could ever say. Because making someone feel like crap with the truth is probably a lot better than making someone feel good with a lie. Because no matter how little, that lie will always be with you.

When I woke up this beautiful Friday morning, I just wanted to go back to bed. I couldn't decide if I would tell the truth to Eric or not. But I knew I would regret it for the rest of my life if I didn't. 

The school day went by, very slowly I might add. I walked over to our school's parking lot and waited for Eric. When I saw that he was close enough to me, I just started walking.

"Avery wait up!" Called Eric.

But I just kept my pace. Seconds later, he popped up right next to me. 

"Why are you being so distant with me?!" Scolded Eric.

"So where were you planning on having this little talk of ours?" I asked ignoring the question.

"My house." Eric responded.

"Seriously?!"

"What? My parents aren't home."

"Oh well that's reassuring." I said sarcastically.

The walk to Eric's house was long. Eric kept asking a bunch of questions and I kept ignoring him. 

When we finally arrived, I plopped my stuff down on the ground, ran up to Eric's room, and sat on his bed. Eric came in shortly after and closed the door behind him. 

"So would you like to explain to me, why you made me cancel my date?" I asked in an annoyed tone.

"How about you explain to me why you've been trying so hard to keep your distance from me, even though I did absolutely nothing wrong?!" Eric yelled.

"I'm not going to explain anything if you're yelling at me."

"Okay, I'm sorry."

"So how are you and Chelsea?" I asked.

"Really, Avery?"

"Just answer the question." I demanded.

"We're okay, I guess. What does this have to do with anything?"

"Do you love her?" I asked.

"What?"

"Do, you, love, her?"

"I don't, I don't know. I mean, I don't even know what love is." He answered.

"So you lied to me."

"What are you talking about?"

"The day you asked her out, you told me you loved her." I said.

"Well maybe at the time I thought I did but I guess I don't know now. Why are these questions relevant?" 

"You know, I don't even want to be here. If we're going to be honest, I'd much rather be on my date with James." I said.

"So then why did you even agree to do this? Just leave."

"I agreed to do this because you're my best friend and you know that I'd choose you over anyone in a heart beat. And as much as I'd like to leave, I can't because I already cancelled my date with James. As I mentioned a couple of minutes ago."

"I don't want you agreeing to going on another date with James." Said Eric.

"Woah, okay, what are you my dad now or something?" I asked getting up.

"I don't like him."

"You don't even know him!"

"Oh, and you do?" He yelled.

Eric and I were full on arguing. 

"probably a lot better than you do! You know what if we're going to be completely honest than I want you to call Chelsea and break up with her right now." I demanded.

"What? No Avery I'm not going to do that."

"Fine then I'm going to call James and suggest that we go on a date tomorrow night." I said.

"NO! Don't." Eric panicked. 

"What do you want from me, Eric? You won't break up with Chelsea, but I'm not allowed to date? What, are you the only one that gets to be happy?"

"It's not like that Avery, I just-" I cut him off.

"You just what?! This is ridiculous, I can't even believe this, and to think for a second I was going to admit that I-"

I was interrupted by the forceful yet soft feeling on my lips. I didn't realize it until a few seconds after, but Eric was kissing me. When we finally pulled away, I smiled.

"You have no idea how long I've been waiting to do that." Said Eric.

"So then what is the deal with Chelsea?" I asked, scooting back.

"That day I told you that I was in love, I was going to say that I was in love with you. But you seemed like, I don't know, uninterested. After you said you didn't even know what love was, I didn't know what to think."

"I love you. A lot. And I've loved you ever since we were little kids. That day, I thought you were going to say that you loved someone else. So I lied. And that's why I've been distancing myself, because every time I looked at you, my heart would break that much more."

"Well I'm glad that we got that cleared up..." Eric said awkwardly. 

"So, what now?" I asked.

Eric kissed me.

"Does that answer your question?" He asked.

"No I'm sorry, you might have to do it again just to double check."

That was the happiest day of my life. But it's funny how fast things can change.