Bride to Be

Chapter Ninteen: Bride to Be

The dynamism of my body against his gives me that urge to back away. But I don't want to. I want to stay here in the cold right next him. I feel safe here. I feel like no negative energy is pulling me to the ground when I'm with Errik.

            As we walk to the cars, we stop in front of mine. "So I guess you're not fine?" he asks while I fiddle with my fingers out of nervousness.

            "I'm just a bit cold, that's all. But I'm fine," I say, smiling. "I'm fine," I repeat, letting my hands fall to my sides.

            "Do you want me to escort you home or––?" he begins, but I cut him off by shaking my head.

            "No. I'll be fine driving home." I slightly smile now and scan his face one last time before I turn on my heel and open the door.

            Before the door closes, Errik leans in with his whole arm on the rim of the door while the rest of his body bends down to meet my eye level. "I guess I'll see you soon?"

            I nod my head and say, "Get out your phone." As weird and creepy as that sounds, he does so without question. I give him my phone number and I get out my phone and he tells me his. "I'll see you when I see you," I say while I start the engine. “And when I don't, give me a call," I add as he backs away from the car and I put the car in “Drive” and lightly push down on the accelerator.

            By the time I head down the street, I'm already on the highway. Hitting traffic, I know that I won't be getting home any time soon.

*~*~*~*~*

Arriving back home, I notice her car in the driveway. What does she want? I think. Cutting off the car, I step outside while a shiver goes down my spine from greeting the cold air. Slamming the door shut, I pace my way to the front door. Before I get my hand on the handle, she opens it with a small smile.

            Walking inside, the door closes behind me as she follows me out into the living room. I notice a man on my couch; he was the one I saw in the hospital before my father died.

            "Raven, this is Lipchits. My soon-to-be husband," explains Lauren, rushing in front of me while he stands.

            "Hello," he says, grabbing my hand and shaking it gently.

            "Hi," I say, not knowing if I should speak about anything else.

            Once he let goes of my grasp, my mother pushes me to the couch area where I sit down, along with the two of them doing the same thing. "So, have you decided on if you want to be my maid of honor?"

            "I thought I still had a month to decide?" I politely put my hands in front of my torso as my fingers entwine with each other.

            "Ha, sweetie, it's already been a month," she announces. Has a month gone by that fast?

            "Well, do you have anyone else to be your maid of honor?" I question, tilting my head to the side just a bit.

            "No.” She chuckles. "I was counting on you to say yes. You are my only daughter, after all."

            I think for a moment; shall I really be her maid of honor? It isn't that hard of a job, anyways. Besides, her wedding is . . . when is her wedding? "Um, when is your wedding, actually?"