Chapter Five

I know, it's an extremely short chapter, but it is a very important part of the story :)

Chapter Five.

"Vesiss."

I stir in my sleep, not wanting to open my eyes. "Let me sleep," I mumble.

"Vesiss, wake up sweetie."

I duck my head under my pillow in an attempt to drown out the sweetness of my mother's voice. She always uses such a voice to awaken me nicely, but it is always to no avail.

Suddenly, there's a flash of red behind my eyelids.

"Vesiss, get up!"

I frown at the urgency in my mother's voice, and then frown deeper when I realize my pillow is not over my head anymore. My head is resting against a hard, rough surface.

I open my eyes, and then gasp. Before me is a sight that strikes pain deep into my heart.

My mother is not near me anymore, instead she is struggling against the grasp of a man with vibrant green eyes. Eyes that shine even in the blackest of nights and will forever haunt my thoughts. She is screaming at me, "get up! Get up, Vesiss!" but her words are hushed when the man covers her mouth with his hand.

My eight year old body stands and I look around me, at the war that rages before my eyes. Dragons fly over my head and fight on the ground, staining the dirt with the blood of humans and supernaturals alike.

To my left, a Dragon flies to the ground, dropping to its feet and causing a vibration through the ground that causes me to lose my balance. I stumble backwards and watch with wide eyes as the Dragon then shifts to human form, its scaled armour dissolving into human skin, the figure distorting and compressing until recognizable as a person.

"Vesiss!" my mother's scream interrupts my stare.

I whirl around to face her, watching as the Dragon holding her shouts in anger as he presses his hand to his side. She had bitten him.

Then, before my eyes, the Dragon moves his hand to her neck and snaps it.