Chapter 17

-Patrick-

Sargent called for help, but the only help they could spare were choppers and men to transport the dead. "You still have your orders." They said.

We never did find Joe. Not all of him at least. If any if Joe was found, it went in with the pile of severed limbs and unidentified dead. The only record of his death was that he wasn't around after the incident, and my confirmation that I saw him die.

With the official business out of the way, and our squad being half the size, we continued to march. We marched in silence into late evening until we found a place to set up camp. Nobody spoke pitching their tents or cooking their dinner.

The usual banter and noise of a busy camp relaxing and joking after a usual day is replaced with silence. A grim reminder of what happened and who was lost. No one wanted to be the first to break the silence. Nobody really knew what to say, and it felt disrespectful say anything anyways.

I could tell Pete was taking it hard on the inside. The initial shock of it left him with moist eyes and disbelief, but nothing more on the outside. However, when I looked in his eyes, I saw a world of hurt and anger.

We sat in silence in our tents until the late hours if the night, when all you could hear was the wind rustling in the jungle trees and fields of grass, and animals making noises in the distance.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked him knowing he wasn't asleep. Just laying and staring at the ceiling just as I am.

"Is there anything to talk about?" He asked.

"It never hurts to let it out." I told him, sitting up and looking down at him.

"But if I let it out, it will become more real."

"Pretending to deny it won't bring him back Pete..."

Silence.

"He was the only friend I had back home. We were only party buddies who shared drugs, but it was more than anyone else could say."

"Mhm."

"And when I got drafted, I went to his house, only to find out he left for this hell hole. And then I found him." He started crying and sat up so he could look at me. "We've gotten so much closer, and I told him everything only hours before he died." He slammed into me crying into my shoulder as I held him. "He told me that this place makes you value what you have. And now I don't even have him" His voicevwas muffled from my shoulder.

I pulled his face up from my shoulder and looked at him.

"I know its hard. I can't tell you how many friends I lost over here. I wish there was something I could say or do to make it better." I said as I wiped the tears off his face with my thumbs.

I pulled him back into me and we laid down, letting him sob into my chest, staining my t-shirts with his tears.

"It will get better. I promise. I'm here." I told him running circles into his back.

"Goodnight 'Trick." I heard him say into my chest a tired voice muffled voice.

"Goodnight Panda. Sweet dreams."

"'Trick?" He asked.

"Don't leave me." He begged, and it broke my heart a little.

"I won't Panda. Go to sleep. You need it."

Pretty soon, I heard the familiar shallow breathing of Pete's breath.

I'll miss Joe too. We only spoke a handful of times, but he cared about Pete and I a lot, which we gave in return for a close friendship, despite the distance that was between us as friends. I still cared for him and would have done anything for him and I know the feeling was mutual.

I can only hope Pete learns to let go and move on. Joe would want him to. Joe isn't... Joe wasn't one to dwell in the past. He wanted everyone to live in the present to escape the problems of the past, or the nostalgia of it, because neither do anything for you now.

But I know where Pete is coming from because I lost my best friend Andy to this war. Andy volunteered because he wanted to help people and make the world a better place, even if that meant putting his life in danger.

He was the most caring person I've ever known and always gave back more than he received. But eventually, all he could give was his life, and he'll never get the appreciation he deserved.

When I first heard of his death, I was shocked. Then mad. Then the sadness hit me.

And that's exactly what Pete is going through and he needs what I didn't have. Pete has always been my rock and now its time for me to be his.

Eventually, the rhythm of Pete's breathing made me sleepy, and I held him closer to me feeling like he was too far away, even though he was sleeping on my chest. I was soon put to sleep by his breathing and the warmth of his body.

------------------------------------------------------ Jeezus guys. This story has come a long way. I didn't think it would get this far and that this many people would like it. Its almost over! Only a few chapters left... Thank you for over 1K reads. Love you!!
-Matthew