Chapter 4

I woke up to rays of sunshine beating down on me through floor-to-ceiling windows. I sat up and looked around. I was in an office on a green couch. the walls were all a creamy white and there was was gray shaggy carpet on the floor. On the other side of the room there was a wooden desk piled with papers and picture frames with family members in them. I was still in the blood stained and torn clothes from yesterday. I looked at the clock on the wall. It was six thirty. Perfect! I still had time to find clothes and get ready for school. I stood up and stretched. I wasn't as sore from yesterday as I thought I would be. I looked down and realized I was standing on my shoes. I sat back down and slipped them on. I walked out of the office and saw that the branch of offices I was in overlooked cubicles and was raised about five feet from the floor level. There was a small staircase to my right. But then something caught my eye. My backpack! It was hanging on the back of a chair in a cubicle. I walked down the stairs and inside the small space people actually use for an office. I picked up my bag and pulled out my IPod. I had one new text message from Textfree.

Unknown Number: Hey Princess. Don't think you're off the hook so easily. Sleep with one eye open.

I replied back, but I then realized how stupid my reply was.

Me: Who is this and how did you get my number?

Unknown Number: You'll know soon enough. I would tell you to keep your eyes peeled, but it won't matter. I'm coming for you and you can't stop me. Don't think I don't know where you are. If you tell anyone about this, I will hurt everyone you have smiled at in the last three days.

I didn't reply. I had smiled at a lot of people in the last three days. Actually, I had smiled at every person I rested my eyes upon.

I agreed not to tell anyone. I wasn't ready to lose that many people. Did this mean that someone was watching me? Was I being stalked? How do I get out of this?! I decided to forget about it as long as I could for now. I obviously couldn't change things immediately. I would figure this out later.

   "Ashley! You're awake! It's good to see you up." Aaron said as he wrapped his arms around me and pulled me with him as he walked. "Are you hungry? He asked. I nodded my head and smiled. "Okay, I'll get you some breakfast. I have an agent going to your house now to get you clothes for school, then you can finish getting ready. I'm going to send an agent to school with you for the day to make sure no one hurts you. Do you mind?" This time, I spoke up. "Actually yes. I don't want an FBI Macho man following me around everywhere, that will just draw more attention to me! I said with a harsh tone that was unfamiliar to me. "S-sorry." I quickly added as softly as I could. "Well it doesn't matter, I'm sending one anyway!" He said with a roar so horrific, I flinched and scrunched up my face to keep from crying. I stared back at him with my bright blue watery eyes and my chin started to twitch a little. I could feel the tears begging to pour down my face. He scowled and walked off. I guess I deserved that. I should be thankful that he was trying to protect me. But still, I didn't want death stares at school. I mean, what would happen after the agent left? Would people be mad at me for bringing the FBI to school? Would they make fun of me because I had a guy following me around all day? I didn't really know how to feel. I felt like I was more wrong than right, and my safety was more important, but I guess my emotions just got the best of me and I couldn't control them. All I knew for sure was that he yelled back at me and my feelings were hurt and all I wanted to do was curl up into a ball and go to sleep and never wake up. I stood there for a few good minutes contemplating what to do next while tears streamed down my cheeks and neck. My body felt limp and my hands began to shake. I was so scared. I didn't know what to do anymore. There was so much going on that nobody understood.  I decided to write it all down. That had always helped me before. I picked up a pad of paper and a pencil off the nearest desk and headed back to the couch in the office I slept on. I wrote down my feelings. I poured everything into it. I wrote down everything that had happened, everything I felt, everything I saw, and the tears just kept coming. I wrote about the text messages and about Aaron yelling at me, and how I couldn't decide how to feel about me yelling at him first.