Finding Hayden

Everyone in office was gone. The tube was empty, the panel and syringes were left unaided. There was no sign of the red liquid and the rooms were dimly lit. I shouldn't have been nervous. It was a simple, quiet job. But with my luck and with murmurs of Spectrala flying around, this wasn't going to be quiet or simple. I needed those answers. And I was willing to do whatever it takes to get them.

I left the office pressing the earpiece closer to my ear. "Caitlin. Caitlin!" I hissed. There was a crackling sound from the other side. "Caitlin?" What could she possibly be doing? I waited a few more seconds until an unfamiliar voice answered. "Hello?" it was a small voice. And it certainly wasn't Caitlin. As far as I knew, Caitlin didn't have a brother. And even if she did, she couldn't be near him.

"Who is this?" There was more shuffling from the other end of the earpiece. "Caiden! What are you doing in my room?" I heard a deep, distant voice. Caiden. Wasn't that Ryker's brother? Wait. "Hello?" the deeper voice said. "Ryker?" It started to make sense. I gave Ryker the other earpiece which meant that Caitlin didn't have one. I didn't know it would work on the other side of the wall.

"Human." he replied. It was then that I realized I never gave him my name. "It's Rose." I could hear him tsk. "I think I'm gonna stick with human." I roll my eyes, knowing he can't see me. "Why were you asking for a Caitlin? Something wrong with our deal?" his voice was laced with disappointment. I scoff. "I'll have you know that Caitlin is the technical genius that got me on your side of the wall. She's the only one who can help me find Hayden."

"Oh really? Does your technical genius know that you're using her name and not her number." Just then, I saw a sweep of light down the hall. Security. Of course. I walk down the hall, trying not to attract too much attention. "You know a lot about the humans, right?" He doesn't respond for a minute as if contemplating whether to answer me or not.

"Yeah, sure." I didn't know if he was lying or not. But at the moment, my focus was to get Hayden out without getting caught. "Great. I work in the facility where your kind are questioned and tested. Do you know where the Anoch are taken afterwards?" The light is getting closer and I turn around the corner, sighing in relief. "He's in the basement. Last door." When this was over, I was definitely going to question how he knew this.

I walk towards the elevator which was thankfully just down the hall. I press the call button, fiddling with my fingers to ignore the nervous sweat beading along my hairline. The elevator dings loudly, causing me to jump and look back down the hallway in alarm. I slip in and press the basement floor button.

The elevator doors slide closed before anyone could see me. "Ryker?" I ask, trying to focus my mind on something else. "Yes, human?" I could sense a hint of amusement in his voice. "How do you know so much about the humans?" I swear I heard a guttural growling from the other end. "I told you not to ask questions until you found Hayden."

"I know but-" "But what?!" his voice is harsh and sharp. I'm simply glad that he couldn't see me reaction and that I couldn't see his expression. He sighs. "Just find him." he says tiredly. The door lets out an involuntary ding and I step out. The corridor is wide instead of the narrow hallways that lead to the office. There is a large set of French double doors with gold mustache handle bars.

Gripping the handle, I take a deep breath bracing myself for whatever is on the other side of those doors. I open it slowly listening to the hinges of the door squeal in protest, the tension building with each second. And I shut my eyes not daring to look and after an internal battle in my head, I open them again.

Cages. Metal bars at least an inch think holding in the alien species. They were standing with a metal skeleton each fitted for them, holding them upright. Their eyes were closed, and looked like they were asleep. There was a glass pad similar to the one Dr. Openhaimer used held in front of the each cage door.