Future of Spectrala

This definitely wasn't another promotion. When I got promoted, Ms. Greystone didn't look this serious. Now the look in her eye was becoming murderous by the second. Was being late really that bad? Of course it's bad Rose, you've been running all over the place trying to get here on time! My thoughts screamed. "Care to explain?" My mind was thrown into overdrive. Christina and Diamond were flanked on either side of Ivana looking like her little minions. "I lost my earpiece and it took the CareBot too long to find it. I tapped with wiry object, a nervous sweat beading along my hairline and an extremely unconvincing smile plastered on my face. 

Ivana clear didn't buy it. She stood up straight, smoothed down her skirt and walked out with my on her heels. Christina and Diamond didn't give me a second glance. The first thing I saw was her office. It looked the same as it had when I took the interview. She willingly gave me the key that led me to the other side of the wall. Ivana didn't look at me as she sat down in her usual chair, her leg crossed over the other and her hands on top of one knee as she stared at the empty seat across from her. 

I took the hint and collapsed on the chair, fidgeting. "You have heard the rumors of Spectrala haven't you?" There was no way she put it all together. I had to give her credit, she wasn't stupid. But was me being late the automatic give away that I was sneaking Anoch over to the other side of the wall? I'm not the only one who's ever late. There's always Daniel who's on the other side of the glass. But does Ivana make an appearance then? No! So then what was so special about me? 

"Yes." I say with a straight face. I hated lying to her like this. But in my mind, she was in the way of my cover. I didn't exactly have another choice. "She has taken a total of two Anoch. They were scheduled to go back where they came from." That's a lie, I thought outraged. "And now there is the possibility there is some pathetic child raising an army to take all the Anoch back. If this happens, they will destroy humanity." She conveniently uses the word 'take' instead of 'free.' Our humanity has already been stripped from us by people like you. "You don't understand Rose. It starts with some of the Anoch we have here. Then it spreads to the humans who are growing wily and vulnerable by the second. They don't know who's who since they hold such close resemblance. Spectrala is the leader of their rebellion and once the Anoch are on board it's only a matter of time before humans join out of fear."

I wanted to strangle her. "We have a very nice, calm system playing out for us right now. They stay on their side. We let them breathe our air, wear our clothes, grow food from our grounds in exchange for the opportunity to study them. We calmly live out our lives here. But this girl has a warped mind. And I just want to be sure you haven't been running into any of her... forces." She says the word 'forces' with such disdain it sounds like she's spitting up garbage. Which in a way, she is. 

"I haven't Ms. Greystone. It was just my earpiece." She nods and lets out a sigh. "Their forces go stronger ever day. Spectrala will soon become a legendary icon and I need to have my own forces ready. I can trust you Rose, can't I?" I nod. "Good." Little did she know that the fugitive she speaks so lowly of is sitting right across from her. It's ridiculous that I would keep the Anoch on this side. But for the time being, she must believe that if it keeps my cover. "Things are going to start getting ugly. I'm going to ask you things that you won't always agree to but you must do them to save the world. You are in charge now Rose. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Remember that." Her voice was so convincing and inspirational. If I hadn't seen both sides I would have believed her and followed her blindly. Her perfect brows were creased and her eyes searched mine for loyalty and submission.

"I will Ms. Greystone. I'm sure the people in the office are growing concerned. We should bring in the Anoch and continue questioning." I suggest. Caitlin would have seen right throught me. She would have noticed my robotic voice while I mentally murder myself. But Ms. Greystone isn't the kind of person to understand the term 'no' and simply goes with my ambition. Her lips pull back into a tight smile and she nods gracefully. "Before then I need to have a chat with Christina and Diamond. Prepare the orbs." her voice booms with authority once more. And I wondered how someone who lived in a world like this could have so many different tones to her voice. Or maybe it was just deception. Something common here.