Chapter 48

Hunter's POV

Mom and dad left about 30 minutes ago. Harper's fever is down to 100. 1. Better than it was, but still elevated. She's drinking Pedialyte, which is good. Her cough is getting a bit worse. Which bothers me. My mom told me to not to worry unless her temp goes up to 103 or she stops drinking. I also need to be concerned if she complains of a headache.

This is the first time Harps has ever had a fever. She's had a few colds, but nothing too serious. I have to admit, I'm a bit nervous. I hope I don't miss something and she ends up getting really ill.

Just as I'm about to lay down next to Harper on my king size bed, I hear a knock on my bedroom door and Liddy walks in.

"Hi, I hope you don't mind that I let myself in."

"Of course I don't mind, but what are you doing here? Why aren't you at Liz's?" I ask while moving to sit on the edge of my bed.

"I did go over and Liz sent me home because I was so worried about Harper." She says as she walks over to my bed and leans over to feel Harp's forehead. "How is she doing?"

I smile because I'm happy she is here. "Her temp is 100.1"

Just then Harper starts to cough and it wakes her up. Liddy immediately sits down beside her and gently rubs her back. "It's okay sweetie, your daddy and I are here. We'll take good care of you." When Harper's cough continues to get worse Liddy spin's herself around and sits with her back against my headboard and pulls Harper into her lap. Then she begins to rock her in her arms. The whole time speaking softly telling Harper everything would be ok.

I'm in awe at how maternal Liddy is. Renee wouldn't know what to do and she certainly wouldn't hold Harper while she was coughing germs all over the place, that's for sure.

"Do you think it's okay to give her something for the cough?" I ask. Trusting in whatever Liddy suggests.

"Yes, I do. It's gotten to the point that she can't sleep."

I stand. "I'll get her medicine, if you don't mind watching her."

"You go. We'll be fine." She says while continuing to rock my baby girl.

I'm only gone for a few minutes. When I return I find Harper with her head on Liddy's shoulder half asleep and Liddy resting her head on Harper's, singing quietly to her. I stop and stare when the realization hits me, that I not only love Liddy but I want her to be the mother to my children.

"Oh good you're back." Liddy says with a smile.

"Ah, yeah. Here it is. Do you want me to give it to her or you?"

"I will. It's just easier." She says as she takes the dosage cup and puts it to Harper's lips. "Here you go sweetie. This will make your cough go away."

Harper immediately starts to struggle. She hates the taste of medicine, but then again who doesn't. So I walk to the opposite side of the bed and sit down just like Liddy with my legs stretched out and my back against the headboard.

"Here let me try."

It was a combined effort, but we finally got Harper to swallow her cough suppressant. "Yeah we did it!" Liddy says as she holds her hand up for a high five.

I slap her hand gently then I grab onto it and hold it in mine. When she looks over at me, I smile. "Thank you so much for coming over. You have no idea how much I appreciate you being here. Just having someone to run things by is such a comfort. I usually have to call my mom a million times to ask for advice."

She squeezes my hand. "There is no other place I would rather be."

I just grin because I know she means it.