Chapter 44

5 days later

Liddy's POV

"What do you think of this dress, Liz? It's red. It could work for a Christmas party?"

"No, it's too plain. You need something a bit dressier."

"Well, I'm running out of clothes in my closet. If we don't find something soon, I'll have to go shopping tonight."

"What about that cute burgundy dress that you wore to the St Jude's fundraiser last year or the year before?"

"Wait a minute. Is this the one you are thinking of?" I ask as I walk out of my closet holding a maroon dress with long sheer sleeves.

"Yes! That's the one. If I remember correctly you looked fantastic in it."

"Thanks for the compliment, but don't you think it's a bit short and a bit much? We are going to a party at Lynette and Leo's not a celebrity filled celebration."

"No, I don't. I think it's the perfect dress to wear to make Hunter eat his heart out."

I can't help but laugh. "So that's why you've been rejecting all my other choices. You want me to dress to impress?"

"No, I want Hunter to drool all over his parents' floor."

"Wow, Liz." I giggle. "I didn't know you were so vindictive."

"I'm not usually, but he's hurt you so much, by playing all these head games with you. I think it will do him some good to have to sit back and watch Ryan fawn all over you."

"Well, your plan isn't going to work, then. Ryan left yesterday to spend the holidays with his family in Mississippi. I will be going with just you and Joe."

"Oh that's too bad. I would have loved to see Hunter's face when you showed up with Ryan's arm around you."

"Ahh that probably wouldn't have happened either."

"What do you mean?" She asks obviously confused.

"Ryan's not my boyfriend."

"But I thought you said you two kissed and that there was chemistry."

"We did and there was some chemistry, but I thought about it and I'm really not ready for anything serious. So I talked to him and we agreed that we'd just be friends for now."

"Are you sure you want to take a chance that someone doesn't scoop him up?"

"Yeah, I am. Ryan is a nice guy. He deserves someone that will think of him and only him. I'm not in the position to do that. I still care about Hunter. I'm doing a lot better, but I'm not totally over him yet. I just need some more time."

"You take as long as you need. But in the mean time you have to wear that dress tomorrow night. Because mark my words. Hunter won't be able to take his eyes off of you."

"You think so? What if Kelly's there with him?"

"I hadn't thought about that." She says as she walks over to sit on the bed. "No worries. No one will be prettier or sexier than you so Hunter and every other guy won't be able to stop staring. If we are lucky Kelly will notice. Maybe they'll have a big fight and they'll break up with each other."

"I'm not quite sure what will happen and that's what worries me."

Just then I hear Harper moving around in her room. "Looks like sleeping beauty is awake. I need to go get her ready for her first swim lesson."

"Do you want me to do that so you can change into your bathing suit?"

"Thanks for the offer but I have my bikini on under my clothes."