Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Coming out of the near trance the voice put her in, Christine gasped in shock. Lights out and a voice? It's like some sort of horror film..

His command definitely worked, though. She wasn't crying anymore. Now, she was extremely confused and a little nervous. "Who's there?"

She didn't receive an answer to her question.

"Who's there?" Christine tried again, louder than before. "Look, I can't see in the dark so can you please turn on the lights?" It's got to be a student playing a joke on me. 

Still nothing.

"Well, fine!" she shouted. "I'll get out of here without your help." She began to move in the direction of the door but kept bumping into chairs. Just great, I'm so clumsy…

Erik shook his head, suppressing a sigh. He had always possessed keen night vision and was glad to have it at that particular moment. He stood on stage looking out at Christine who was trying to feel her way to an exit. My poor girl. She is lost.  She needs guidance...

Just when Christine began to think she'd never get out, a voice that seemed to come from right behind her whispered, "Stop, Christine..." The hairs on the back of her neck stood on end and a shiver ran down her spine. Turning towards where the hypnotic voice was coming from, she asked, "Wh- who are you?"

Erik didn't answer. He couldn't. After all, he had never been faced with such a challenge. Pretend to be an angel? It was foreign and even laughable to him.

He obviously couldn't give into her wishes. I am Erik, the 'ghost' who lives in this music building. I am in the process of making you believe I am an angel, although, really, that is the last thing I would ever be referred as. Oh, and to top things off, I am 'Phantom', the one you have been communicating with Online. 

There was no way he could tell her any of that.  Erik was quite glad he wasn't actually behind her at that moment, for he was currently in a perplexed state. Ventriloquist skills really were quite useful.

Christine was frustrated, tired, and really sick of this. She sighed.  "If you attend Ballad and are just playing around, would you please give it up already? I've had a really bad night and I just want to go back to my dorm room."

"You do not wish to stay?" He hadn't really meant to blurt that out, but he also didn't want her to leave.

She reached out trying to find the man who seemed to be so close. "Who in the heck are you?"

"You really do not know?" A small smile came to his masked face. This game was fun.

He was teasing her! "Just turn on the lights," she moaned.  "Please?"

Erik had trouble denying her, which was a slightly fearful observation. Nevertheless, he went backstage, out of Christine's view, and turned the recital hall's lights back on.

She squinted adjusting to the sudden light before immediately searching for the creep. "Where are you?" Maybe he's had his fun for the night and has left..

Well, she certainly had no reason to stay either.  Christine sprinted to the door of the recital hall but, to her surprise, it was locked. What the heck? 

She banged on it desperately hoping someone would unlock it, but no one came. Finally, she turned around and cursed under her breath. Nothing greeted her eyes but emptiness. "What did I do to deserve this?"

A most obvious thought came to her then and she slapped her forehead with the palm of her hand. "Cell phone!" Quickly reaching for her purse, she eagerly grabbed it.